Chapter 23: Caught

"Alpha... I can walk..." Jin complained. He was currently sitting on Yoongi's back. They had traveled for nearly three hours and Yoongi had insisted Jin be carried, much to the omega's embarrassment.

Jin turned to Hoseok for help, but the alpha seemed to agree wholeheartedly with Yoongi's decision. Jin supposes he understood where they were coming from, but he felt bad for having the alpha use his energy just to carry him. Especially when nothing was wrong and he could still walk. If anything, Hoseok was the one who needed to be carried.

They had crossed into Namjoon's territory and were close to the den. The sun had long since set and the sky was painted a blue and orange. Jin looked up and saw the moon visible just beyond the tree's branches.

He could distinctly smell Junho, and what worried him more was the stench of death and blood. It was overpowering, and he wondered if that's the reason why he couldn't seem to find Namjoon's scent.

Yoongi seemed to be in the same predicament. He was stiff, and hesitant. He had Jin, who was vulnerable on his back, after all. Despite the danger, Yoongi refused to let him get off.

They took their time, walking in the river to hide their scents. Jin didn't think it would've mattered. Even if they didn't have the element of surprise, the horrendous smells probably would've hid their own scents. He laid himself down on Yoongi's back, pressing close and letting his fingers deftly grip onto the fur on the alpha's neck.

"Please be careful... Junho is a cruel alpha, more than my father..." He whispered softly next to the alpha's ear.

Yoongi didn't answer, but began creeping lower. Hoseok did the same and the two climbed out of the water onto the riverbed. The den was just beyond the trees, and frankly, Jin didn't like the idea of coming back anymore.

Yoongi stayed in the thick trees for cover, Hoseok following closely behind him. It wasn't until they were just at the edge of where the trees stopped and the clearing leading to the den's entrance began, that Yoongi finally decided to let Jin off.

The alpha laid himself down, and Jin quickly slid off of his back. Once his feet were firmly planted on the ground, he shifted. It was much too dangerous to stay in his human form here.

They peeked from behind the bushes, and Jin didn't know if he should be relieved or even more worried for his mate.

Bodies littered the floor and blood stained the ground. The air reeked of death, so much so that they were unable to smell Namjoon. Jin whimpered at not finding his mate right away, and wondered where he could be.

Yoongi made Jin stay with Hoseok while he went into the clearing to investigate. Cautiously, he stepped over the multiple bodies and checked to make sure they were dead. It was obviously the work of Namjoon. Most had their throats torn out or gashes too deep that the wound became fatal.

He walked toward the entrance of the den, his ears flickering to catch any sound.

Jin and Namjoon's scents were intermingled, and they were mated. Yoongi figured Jin would be able to locate Namjoon faster than Hoseok or himself. He knew he assumed correctly when Jin stepped out into the clearing, even as Hoseok growled for him to stay.

Jin scented the air, following what he believed to be Namjoon's scent. He approached Yoongi, and the two confirmed their suspicions.

Yoongi walked into the den with Jin staying close to his side. Hoseok ran over and covered Jin's other side. They stepped further into the den and the smell suddenly became much clearer. Yoongi felt his heart drop into his stomach.

Namjoon was in his human form, leaning against the wall and cradling an injury to his side. He was covered in blood, some even dripping down his chin.