Chapter 48: Did I keep my promise?

Jungkook remembered being so fascinated by Jimin. He hadn't presented yet, and his pack was very strict on omega and alpha interactions. So when he went out exploring by himself and ventured farther than any pup would go, it had both frightened and fascinated him to run into someone else.

Jimin was already an omega, and now that Jungkook thinks back, they probably wouldn't have been friends had he already presented as an alpha.

He still remembers back then, when it was just him and Jimin.

The part of the forest his pack resided in was dense. The trees overhead didn't filter any light through. Not to mention the trees weren't exactly climbable. Jungkook had snuck away after deciding he needed some time to himself.

He walked farther than any pup would dare, almost coming to his pack's territory's border. There was a nice spring here, and Jungkook was sitting on the rocks he had climbed, swinging his feet back and forth in the water happily.

He was lost in his own thoughts, thinking about how his older brother was going to be mated to a nice omega girl. His older brother presented as a beta, but beta's don't exactly smell as strong as an omega or an alpha. Even as a pup, he could smell the two distinctly.

Jungkook was so unsure of his future too. His pack wasn't exactly the type to have their young promised to each other, but he was worried that he'd end up as an omega. An omega in his pack were so coddled. It seemed like they weren't able to do anything just for the sake of their safety. Jungkook was much too adventurous for that.

He heard a loud splash and he nearly jumped out of his own skin. When he looked down, to where the water had been collecting, he was surprised to see an omega.

The omega had fallen and was now sitting in the water sputtering and coughing. Jungkook shrunk low, cautious to get involved. Mainly because this omega smelled like his pack's enemy. They were told of how scary and ruthless that pack was, and that the omega's were thieves and deceptive. He watched as the small omega stood up and took a step forward, only to slip and fall right back in the water.

Jungkook couldn't help it. He laughed.

The omega gasped and his head shot up to where Jungkook was. Upon seeing him, he quickly tried to scramble out of the water and back onto the grass. Jungkook was simply watching, curiosity getting the best of him. Knowing that this omega was from the other pack, he expected something very different.

"....Hey... Are you okay?" He asked after watching the omega struggle to climb onto the grass.

The omega froze and stared at Jungkook. Honestly, even Jungkook couldn't help but think the omega was simply adorable. His hair was stuck to the sides of his face and was dripping wet. His mouth was opening and closing, and he reminded Jungkook of a fish.

"What's the matter? Can you talk?" Jungkook took his feet out from the water and turned to fully face the other. "Don't be scared of me."

The omega had successfully climbed onto dry land and had hidden himself behind a tree. He was peeking out and watching Jungkook curiously.

"Are you the only one here? How come you're alone?" Jungkook tried once more to get the omega to speak. He was thoroughly intrigued. He jumped down from the rocks, landing on his feet on the ground.

"...Why are you out here alone?" The omega asked instead. Jungkook smiled at how light and gentle the omega's voice was.

"I wanted to get away from my pack for a bit. I found this place a while back, and I like it. It's where I come to think." Jungkook motioned to the spring that was trickling down the rocks.