Chapter One

Asteria Halloway gripped the crumpled letter in her gently shaking hands

Asteria Halloway gripped the crumpled letter in her gently shaking hands. Her fingers traced the shattered wax seal and the lining of the paper. Slowly she turned it over in her hands and for what must've been the hundredth time, she read her address neatly scrawled in ink.

"Asteria, amore mio, please stop fiddling with that." Her mother insisted, placing her hand over her daughter's.

She didn't reply as she gently tucked the envelope back into her pocket. Closing her eyes and feeling the unsteady hum of the car engine beneath her, Asteria thought about the terrifying adventure that lay ahead of her. Her mind drifted to the day she received her letter informing her of the magical blood that ran within her veins. The day that everything shifted within her family.

Anyone from a mile away could tell that Celeste and Antonio Halloway were nervous around their daughter. Sure, they used to be terrified when she knocked her toys off the shelf as a baby that couldn't walk, or when the food she didn't like mysteriously vanished off her plate as a toddler. Now there was an explanation their worries were lessened but they still kept their distance from their own daughter. Coming paternally from a rich Italian background, Asteria knew all too well that her magical abilities were the reason for their unusually small family.

Upon arriving at Kings Cross Station, Asteria lead her parents through the tightly knit crowd, weaving in amongst her fellow witches and wizards.

Platform Nine and Three Quarters had it all.

Asteria's eyes widened as she watched large trunks being levitated onto the train, or as she caught sight of a snowy owl gliding above their heads. Her parents, on the other hand, clung to each other's sides, wearily following their daughter and trying not to lose her in the crowd.

"Mamma, look!" Asteria tugged on her mother's sleeve and pointed to the tall students stood in a group by one of the train doors, all wearing flawless school robes.
"Don't point, dear." Celeste smiled warmly at her daughter's excitement.

Antonio pulled the large trunk behind them as the three stood together at the edge of the platform, eyeing the impressive locomotive that stood before them. The train burnt like fire in the yellow light of the platform, almost releasing an aura of marvel to everyone that saw it. The old wheels of the trunk clattered over the cobbled platform as the final whistle of the train sounded.

"Asteria, you be good now. Work hard and remember to write lots." Celeste leant down in front of her daughter, holding her hands on the girl's arms.
"Stai attenta. Ti amo, be good now." Antonio gripped Asteria's hand in his.

Despite the distance that had grown between the adults and their daughter over the summer, they couldn't hide their heartbreak that she would be leaving them for so long.

"I'll be home at Christmas, right?" Asteria asked, almost worried by her parents emotional reactions.
"Of course, tesoro." Antonio confirmed.
"We'll have the best Christmas, just for you. Now hurry, don't be late." Celeste regrettably urged her daughter to part from her side and board the train. With a heavy heart, Asteria did so.