Chapter Fifty One

"Today's the day

"Today's the day." James sat down triumphantly at the breakfast table, "Gryffindor are in for a win, I'm telling you."

Remus shook his head, full of doubt, "You say the same every year but I've yet to see you bring home a victory."
"Shut up! You're not meant to say stuff like that!" James complained.
"Maybe it's your over confidence that jinxes it every year." Peter suggested.

James sipped from his goblet, looking up and down the table to make sure all of the members of his quidditch team were eating a full breakfast before the match. That particular morning was Gryffindor's first match of the year, and their first match against Slytherin.

"Hey... Where's Sirius? He should be down here shouting about lion pride and waving red and gold flags." James frowned slightly.

Remus chuckled, "He went down to the pitch early with Asteria. To be honest, she looked like she was going to faint."

James pondered this. Whilst the Slytherin captain being unable to play would be a major advantage, he was also reminded of the blossoming friendship between himself and Asteria. "Where's Lily? Does she know?" He questioned.

Peter shrugged, "Haven't seen her all morning." He spoke with a mouthful of cereal, barely managing to keep the milk from drooling down his chin.

Remus grumbled, "She's probably avoiding me."

James tutted, "Don't be ridiculous. Lily isn't the kind of person to start avoiding you because she knows. She's never around any day there's a quidditch match."

Down at the quidditch pitch, Sirius and Asteria sat side-by-side in the stands.

"I think I'm going to be sick." Asteria clutched Sirius' hand and let out a shaky breath.

"Ri, you really need to calm down. There's no need to freak out." He placed a comforting hand on her leg and rubbed his thumb in small circles.
"Somehow that's not helpful." She replied quietly.

Sirius sighed and pulled her into a hug, resting Asteria's head against his chest. "Don't worry. Nothing will go wrong and you'll destroy the match. I know it."

"How can you be so confident?" She questioned, allowing her eyes to droop closed. Sirius chuckled in response, making Asteria smile as her head shifted against his moving chest as he laughed.

"Just trust me. Nobody will say a thing."

"I just wish I could hold your hand the whole time." She mumbled, "That sounds really cheesy. Sorry."
Sirius laughed again, "I'll be with you the whole time, no matter what. Don't worry."

They pulled away from each other and smiled. "Alright, I'm going to go get ready before this gets too mushy for my liking." Asteria rose from her seat and ruffled the boy's hair before clambering out of the stands and making her way towards the changing rooms.