Chapter Forty Seven

Asteria crossed her legs tightly, leaning forward as she sat in the arm chair in front of the blazing fire in the Slytherin common room

Asteria crossed her legs tightly, leaning forward as she sat in the arm chair in front of the blazing fire in the Slytherin common room. Even the glowing embers couldn't truly light up the green hue of the room from the lake above. Her knees shook and she bit down harshly on her lip as she impatiently waited. Before long, the sound of footsteps coming from the boy's dormitories caused her to turn around.
Lo and behold, her eyes fell upon Snape.

"What are you doing up, Halloway?" Snape sneered, narrowing his eyes as he came to stand in front of her. The light of the fire only highlighted his slicked back, black hair in the dark.

"I could ask you the same question." She mused, knowing full well why both she and Snape were awake. Little did he know, they were both up for the same reason.

"Going anywhere nice?" She asked, resting her head in the palm of her hand.
Snape scoffed, "I'm prefecting. Not that it's any of your business."

"What? Scared I'll punch you again?" Asteria pursed her lips and opened the book that lay in her lap, moving her gaze forcefully away from the boy.

"Scared you can't hit hard enough?" Snape spat back.
"No chance in the world I'd miss your nose." Asteria replied without looking up as he pulled open the door and violently slammed in behind him - leaving.

Without missing a beat, Asteria jumped to her feet and dashed towards the door. She pressed her ear up against it to listen out for Snape's footsteps sounding out as he walked away. Once she was certain he'd moved out of sight, she creaked open the door and stepped out into her darkness of the school corridors.

"We thought you weren't coming." A voice hissed.

Asteria rolled her eyes, turning as Sirius poked his head out from underneath the invisibility cloak. "And I thought you were meant to be discrete." She pointed down to where his and James' shoes poked out underneath the cloak.

"Just hurry up and get under the cloak!" Lily exclaimed, lifting up the cloak to allow Asteria under.
She shook her head and stepped under, "There's barely room for everyone."

"We don't have much time! Let's get going!" Lily insisted desperately. The poor girl had been driving herself insane thinking about what her friend could possibly be doing down in the Forbidden Forest in the middle of the night. Had she done something wrong? Had she not been there to support Severus when he needed her?

"Evans! You stood on my foot!" Sirius grumbled, dragging Lily back to reality.
"Sorry, sorry." Lily muttered, falling into step behind James.

"Lil?" Asteria peered over at her friend with concern, "Are you alright?"

"The sooner I find out what's really going on, the better." Lily nodded, smiling reassuringly at Asteria.
"Okay." She replied, not entirely convinced.

"Shush!" James came to a stop, silencing all of them as the group froze in position. They all followed his gaze to where Mcgonagall was striding down the corridor towards them.