Chapter Fifteen

Asteria stared up at the tall building

Asteria stared up at the tall building. Even the outside of the house made her feel cold to the bone. It was like the house was radiating superiority.

"You planning on standing there all night?" Sirius asked, holding out his hand.
"Well it's quite nice out here actually. I mean, I could just stay here and you could tell your family that I'm ill." Asteria suggested hopelessly.

"It'll be fine. If you're uncomfortable with them, let me know and I'll intervene."
"Okay, fine." Asteria stepped forward and hesitantly gripped Sirius' hand.

"Don't worry. I promise it won't be as bad as I've made it sound." Sirius squeezed her hand reassuringly before knocking on the front door.

They stood outside for a moment, allowing the darkness of night to swallow them.
"Did you really need to knock on your own front door?" Asteria asked quietly.
"Well it's a bit late now," Sirius chuckled.

Slowly the front door creaked open, revealing a small house elf that was crouched forward so much it must've been painful.

"Master Sirius," the house elf greeted, his voice croaking as he stepped out of the way.
"Kreacher." Sirius nodded, allowing Asteria to pass inside first.

The front door opened into a long hallway, lit by a large chandelier and gas lamps. The wallpaper was peeling slightly at the top and the carpet had worn thin. Sirius placed a hand on Asteria's shoulder and guided her down the dim hallway and into the dining room. The Black family crest decorated the walls, with a set of marvellous china displayed  in a cabinet against the wall.

"Sirius!" A tall, slender woman raised her hands as they entered the room.
"Mother." Sirius replied coldly as the presumable Walburga Black made her way towards them.

"Aren't you going to introduce your guest?" Walburga eyed Asteria up and down.
"This is Asteria Halloway." Sirius introduced, "And this is my mother, Walburga Black."

"Asteria?" Walburga mused, "Do you know the meaning of that name?"
"Star." Asteria replied shortly.
"And you know where so many of our family names come from?" Walburga smiled.
"Constellations." Asteria replied.

Walburga laughed, stepping back and taking in the sight of her son and Asteria.

"Well she certainly is smart... I'll give you that."
"I'm sure Asteria's thrilled to hear it." Sirius rolled his eyes and placed a hand on Asteria's back, trying to guide her away from his mother.

"She's a bit short, isn't she? And very skinny." Walburga spoke as if Asteria were not even there, looking her up and down like a slab of meat.
"Lovely, mother." Sirius clenched his fists.

"Well, well, who is this?"
"Father, this is Sirius' guest." Walburga gestured towards Asteria.
"That's my grandfather, Pollux." Sirius whispered in her ear.