Chapter Seven

Asteria kicked at the floor as Lily dragged her down the road towards Hogsmeade

Asteria kicked at the floor as Lily dragged her down the road towards Hogsmeade. She honestly felt like she was going to throw up but there was only so many times Asteria could flake out on her friend. So there they were, the two girls walking into Hogsmeade.

"Where's Snape? I haven't seen him around lately." Asteria mused despite being permanently suspicious of the boy.
"He had Defence Against the Dark Arts work to do."

"It's always Defence Against the Dark Arts... Isn't it?"
"I don't know what you're saying." Lily replied stubbornly.

Asteria knew it was hopeless to argue her point or even attempt to point out the flaws in Snape.

"Where are we even going?" Asteria asked, pulling her scarf around her neck tightly.
"Fancy a butter beer?" Lily shrugged.
"Only if you're paying." Asteria winked as they neared the Three Broomsticks. 

The autumn leaves had started to fall from the trees as winter neared. This meant great relief flooded the two girls as they entered the warmth of the pub. Instantly being enveloped in a bustling atmosphere was a stark contrast to the quiet and cold of the village outside.

"Go find a seat, I'll be over in a minute." Lily pulled out a few coins from her pocket before making her way towards the bar.

Asteria surveyed the room before her eyes landed on a small empty booth towards the back of the pub. She made her way over and seated with her back against the wall, looking out at the rest of the room. One past time Asteria did particularly enjoy was people watching. Although, today, with a book in hand, she had more interesting things to do.

Asteria spied Lily talking with a group of Gryffindor girls and knew that it could be a while before their drinks arrived, so she opened up her book and began to read.
Upon doing so, Sirius Black entered the pub.

"So then Marlene told me this hilarious story and while we were laughing - you'll never guess what happened next - this guy... I don't remember his name..." Mary rambled  on, tightly gripping Sirius' arm as he guided her into the pub.

"Yeah, yeah great." Sirius mumbled, pretending to still show interest. He hadn't encountered the problem of Mary being so irritating in his plan, but now was desperate for some sort of escape.

As he stood in the centre of the pub, glancing around to spy and empty table, his eyes fell on Asteria. She sat alone in a booth reading a book intently.

"Sirius, are you listening?" Mary place her hands on her hips as she stood before him.
"Yeah, yeah." He nodded slightly, keeping his eyes glued to Asteria.

Asteria glanced up before continuing to read from her book as she turned over one of her pages.

"Sirius!" Mary exclaimed, waving a hand in front of his face.
"What?" He frowned at her.

"You invite me out with you and don't even pay me any attention! What's wrong with you?"

Sirius' attention had once again wavered as he started to watch Asteria again. He smiled as a small smile appeared on her own face.

"Do you like her or something?" Mary asked, following his gaze to see Asteria.
"Yeah... Yeah sure." Sirius replied distractedly.

"I can't believe it. You rave on and on about hating Slytherins and your family and everything. Now you're here pining over some Slytherin freak." Mary scowled, gaining Sirius' attention now.

"What did you just say?" He snarled, stepping back from her.
"If you like her so much why don't you ask her out?" Mary spat.

That could be just it. That could be the key to making his plan successful.
His Slytherin manic, pureblood fuelled family would have a shock when he showed up with a muggle born Slytherin girl. That'd show them.

"That might be a good idea..." Sirius mumbled to himself, completely forgetting that Mary was still there.

"You're such an arse Sirius Black! I can't believe I let you ask me out for a third time!" She exclaimed before shoving his chest and dashing out of the pub in a huff.
"Me neither." Sirius chuckled as the door slammed and a few people turned around to look at him.

Now was his chance.
Asteria was sat alone and nothing was holding him back.
All he had to do was fake date her up until Christmas.
Easy.
Right?

Nevertheless, as Sirius approached her, he felt overcome with guilt about playing the girl. There was no way she'd agree if she knew the truth though. In all honesty, even if he had seriously wanted to go out with her it's not like it would've lasted anyway.

"Asteria, you're looking lovely on this fine autumn day." Sirius grinned, leaning against the back of the bench she was sat on.
"Er... Hello?" She looked up from her book.

"I know this is a bit forward but..." Sirius flashed his usual smirk that normally wooed the girls, "You wouldn't fancy going out sometime, would you?"

Asteria blinked for a moment, speaking no words and making no movements.

"Asteria?" Sirius asked, chuckling awkwardly.

"I don't even know you." She stated simply.
"Of course you do. I'm Sirius Black, remember?   I got punched by that girl for you?"

He couldn't believe she didn't know who he was.
Everybody knew who he was.

"I don't mean that. Clearly I know your name. I mean I don't know anything about you to make me want to go out with you." She clarified.
"If you go out with me you could know more about me." He suggested, grinning at her.

"Why would you even want to date me? I'm a Slytherin, remember? We're supposed to be enemies." Asteria rolled her eyes.
"Well what about if you got to know me?" Sirius asked.

"If we hung out, as friends, and you got to know me and liked me then could we go out?" He asked.
"I don't know." She furrowed her eyebrows at him.

Sirius couldn't believe he was getting shot down. No girl had ever rejected him before. He only ever rejected other people and it was never the other way around.

"So basically what I'm hearing is I need to become best friends with you?" Sirius laughed, attempting to make Asteria smile.

"That spot is already taken."

Sirius turned around to see Lily stood with two drinks in her hands.

"Lily! Thank goodness, I was getting thirsty." Sirius went to grab a drink but Lily slammed them down onto the table too quickly.
"Go away Black, stop annoying Ria." Lily warned, sitting down opposite her friend.

"Alright, alright, I'm going." Sirius turned to face Asteria again, "But I'm holding you to your promise."
"I didn't promise anything." She started.
"That's not what I heard!" Sirius exclaimed before turning his back to her and walking away.

Now Asteria had explicitly rejected him, Sirius was more interested than ever.