Chapter Two

A pureblood Gryffindor who's parents are disappointed in him

The mischievous flirt who's always looking over the shoulder of his latest fling to spy the girl reading at the next table.

A muggle-born Slytherin who's parents are terrified of her

The isolated girl with her nose in a book to hide the fear in her eyes and the worry in her heart.

"Sirius, mate, are you even listening?"

Sirius shook his head and ran a hand through his hair, returning to gaze to his friend that sat opposite him.
"What?" He asked.

James sighed, "If you're just going to stare at her, at least let me know so I don't feel the need to talk."
"You love to talk, don't complain." Sirius replied, returning his attention to what had previously caught it.

"Sirius...." James removed his glasses and placed them on top of his head, "Why don't you go and say something?"
"She's getting up... And she's-wait, no-she's leaving." Sirius sunk down in his seat, letting out a long breath and blowing the hair out of his eyes.

The train beneath them rattled as the Hogwarts Express shot over a bridge and deeper into the evening light. The Marauders were returning for their fifth year at Hogwarts and little changed, they still controlled the school and most students still praised the ground they walked on. It was brilliant.

"When's Remus back?" Sirius asked.
"Dunno, he said he might be an hour." James shrugged.
"What even is the point in being a prefect?" Sirius continued to moan.

That's when the door to the train compartment opened, causing both James and Sirius to look up. Remus Lupin stood in the doorway, a sheepish grin on his face as he lingered there.