Chapter Sixty Four

Snow pelted the ground ferociously as Asteria's gloved fingers lost all feeling, tightly gripping her broomstick

Snow pelted the ground ferociously as Asteria's gloved fingers lost all feeling, tightly gripping her broomstick. The surrounding quidditch stands were booming with cheers and chants as the players sightlessly flew across the skies.
She tightened her grip around the handle and leant forward, shooting through the winter storm. Flakes and clouds blinded the girl as she barrelled aimlessly down the pitch, unable to spot where the quaffle was.

Poor Asteria couldn't even see if someone was going to pass to her.

Although she could hear as the sounds of cheering got much louder, Asteria swerved, assuming that she was headed towards the stands of crowds.

"I think someone took a shot just then! I don't know if they scored, I can't see! I don't know what happened!" The commentator yelled over the commotion, looking for any sign as to what was unfolding on the pitch.

Stopping in the middle of the pitch, Asteria pulled one hand out of her gloves and wiped clean her goggles, clearing the snow away so as to see a little more.

"A Hufflepuff player has just shot past with the quaffle! There's a bludger close behind! And-"

And that's when it happened.

"Merlin's beard..."

"Bloody Hell!"

"She looks worse than you, Padfoot."

"Maybe don't be so insensitive, Prongs."

Slowly, Asteria's drowsy eyes fluttered open. At first she was blinded by the harsh lighting of the room but after a moment of adjustment she became aware of her surroundings.

"Ri? You had me absolutely terrified. Are-are you alright?"

Inhaling sharply, Asteria turned to see a pale Sirius sat on the side of her bed. He clutched both of her hands in his, and upon noticing the girl was staring at him, he moved some hair out of her eyes and leaned forward to press a gentle kiss to her forehead.

"Yes, I'm in the Hospital Wing because I'm completely bloody brilliant." Asteria closed her eyes again, letting out a long sigh.

Little more than an hour had passed since the quidditch match had been cancelled partway through, due to the collision of three players and a bludger midair.

Sirius ran a hand through his hair and peered up at his friends who all stood around the bottom of the bed, snickering at what Asteria had said.

"You did kind of ask for that one, mate." James nodded with raised eyebrows.
Sirius rolled his eyes, "Shut up, Prongs."

"What..." Asteria pushed herself up into a sitting position, leaning against the head frame for support as she asked, "What happened?"

"You don't remember?" Remus frowned, perching at the bottom of the hospital bed.
Asteria shook her head slowly, "I was flying around practically blind on the pitch." Looking down at herself laying in the bed, Asteria noticed various bandages wrapped around her arms and legs and even one around her stomach but there was no pain or real sign of injury, apart from the bruising around her jaw.