Chapter Nine

Remus stared in exasperation at his friend

Remus stared in exasperation at his friend. Surely Remus couldn't actually be friends with such inconsiderate and selfish people. Yet here he was, sat listening to Sirius talk.

"So the plan is going well. Things are looking up." Sirius folded his arms and relaxed back in his seat in the Gryffindor common room.

"She's going to figure it out eventually and then what will you do?" Remus pursed his lips doubtingly.
"I'll get over it, it doesn't really matter in the end." Sirius shrugged.

Remus couldn't believe Sirius. The boy had spent all of his free time talking about Asteria since they started hanging out and the weekend where they would go to Hogsmeade together was fast approaching.

"All you talk about now is Asteria. Honestly, when she flips out at you then you'll be upset." Remus folded his own arms, mimicking Sirius.
"He's right. You're kind of like me talking about Lily." James smirked at Sirius.

"Hey, guys, I don't like her like that. Asteria's pretty cool but she's a Slytherin, I'm not actually interested."

James chuckled quietly, sharing a knowing look with Remus.

"Okay, back to the group plan." James started, "Do we actually know how to pull it off?"
"I'm pretty sure there must be a book on it in the library." Remus suggested.

"You know who we could ask?" Sirius said nonchalantly.
"The librarian?"
"Asteria might know and she wouldn't tell anyone." Sirius grinned.
"She might not tell anyone but she'd definitely ask a lot of questions." James furrowed his eyebrows.

"I promise, she won't know anything."

Only a couple of hours later, Asteria and Sirius were sat beside each other in the Astronomy tower. It was one of her favourite spots in the castle, where Asteria could sit early in the morning and watch the the birds fly across the horizon.

"Animagi?" Asteria widened her eyes, "You guys are planning on becoming animagi?"

"Sh! Don't say it so loud!" He complained, glancing around the empty room.

"Why would you guys do something so dangerous and illegal?" Asteria asked.
"We... Have our reasons." Sirius replied suspiciously.

Asteria sat quietly for a moment, pondering what she had been told.

"Well Remus can't become an animagi." She blurted out, instantly clapping her hand over her mouth as they both realised what she'd just said.

"Y-wh-why?" Sirius shook his head.
"I... I don't know. He could become an animagi, I guess. I mean, what do I know?" Asteria laughed nervously.

Sirius narrowed his eyes, watching her carefully. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that she knew what she'd said. Asteria wasn't the kind of girl to talk about things she wasn't certain in.

"You know something." Sirius started.

Surely she couldn't know the truth about Remus, that would be insane.
How would she know?
Even if she did, why hadn't she told anyone?

"I don't know what you're talking about." Asteria shrugged, keeping her gaze fixed on the grey, stone wall.

"Yes you do. What did you mean before?"
"Before what?"
"When you mentioned Remus."
"No I didn't."
"You did."
"I think you did."

Sirius sighed in exasperation, allowing his hair to fa over his eyes, "Alright, fine, you don't know anything."

Why was he giving in so easily to the girl?
He always had the last word and he always got his way, but this was different.
A small smile grew on his face as he unintentionally realised he was more than okay with Asteria having her way. He was almost happy for her.

"You know how I read a lot?" Asteria began quietly, pacing back and forth.
"I think everyone in Hogwarts knows that."
"Well... I've read a lot about werewolves over the years."

Asteria stopped pacing and turned to look at Sirius. He had also frozen in his spot, and turned impossibly pale.

"You're joking." Sirius started.
"I'm just saying." Asteria shrugged, "I've known about it for a couple of years."

Sirius jumped up at this opportunity, gripping Asteria's wrists in his hands, "Really? You know! You're a genius! And you didn't tell anyone!"

Asteria laughed slightly, watching him bound around before her, "Why would I tell anyone? I haven't even told Remus I know because I've never really spoken to him."

"I didn't even tell you! I didn't ruin the secret this time!" Sirius beamed proudly.
"Do you normally ruin secrets?" Asteria couldn't held but smile back at him.
"You have no idea!"

Then Sirius stopped, and idea forming in his head.

"Could I tell you another secret? But you have to keep it a secret and not ruin it."
"I promise I won't tell anyone. Besides, who would I even tell?" Asteria became interested in what Sirius had to say.

"Okay... So about the animagi thing..." Sirius started.
"I don't remember reading about transfiguring into animals but I could find the book in the library for you." Asteria offered.

"You'd do that?"
"Of course, we're becoming friends aren't we?"

Sirius grinned giddily, "Yeah, yeah we are."