Chapter Sixteen

The stars that usually glimmered in the night sky were masked by the bright city lights

The stars that usually glimmered in the night sky were masked by the bright city lights. Asteria shivered slightly as the cold wind whipped at her exposed hands and face, turning her skin bright red. The noise of bustling life and roaring engines was ever present throughout the night as she rested against the railing of the balcony.
Then her stomach rumbled.

"Are you hungry?" Sirius asked, suddenly becoming aware of his surroundings.
"I didn't exactly get to eat dinner but... it's fine." She shrugged gently, tightening her coat around her body.
"And you're cold... Wow I'm a terrible host."

"At least your parents won't be in a rush to marry us off." Asteria pointed out.

"I can call Kreacher and he'll get you something to eat." Sirius offered.
"What time is it?"
"Like one... maybe two or three." Sirius frowned. In the peace and tranquility of each other's company the two had lost completely track of time, only knowing that it wasn't morning yet.
"I don't want to wake him is all." Asteria admitted.

Sirius laughed, "He's probably awake cleaning, you know? Plus, he's horrid anyway."
"He didn't seem horrid when I met him." Asteria frowned.
"He's horrid to me. He hates me because my mother hates me." He explained, standing up from his seat on the floor.

The two had been sat on the balcony outside Sirius' bedroom, their backs pressed up against the door as they stared out at the view. It wasn't much, but it was better than being inside. Asteria looked up at Sirius and maybe it was just in the warm light of the street lamps or the exhaustion the ensued with being awake so late, but she caught him in a new way. To her, Sirius Black was not just the cocky, pranking, womanising idiot everyone presumed him to be. Since getting to know Asteria, Sirius had lost all interest in his previous flings. To Asteria, Sirius was funny and comforting and always there for her, but in this new light he was handsome as he ran his hand through his hair.
Sirius looked down at Asteria and noticed something similar. The way she smiled and the way her eyes glistened allowed Sirius to truly appreciate her beauty. She wasn't hiding behind Lily or countless books anymore and he so deeply appreciated that. He appreciated being able to make her smile and to look at her gorgeous face.

"Maybe he hates you because you're an idiot." Asteria smirked slightly, taking Sirius' hand as he held it out to help her stand up.
"I'm not an idiot!"
"You have posters of half naked muggle girls on your bedroom wall to spite your parents." Asteria pointed out.
"I thought I told you not to look at them."
"Oh, sorry, should I focus on the piles of dirty clothes instead?"

Sirius couldn't hide the grin that grew on his face, "I'm glad you've cheered up and everything but can we not make fun of me please?"
"But there's just so much to make fun of." Asteria giggled quietly before they stepped out onto the dark landing.

Suddenly they were reminded of where they were. Asteria and Sirius weren't in their own little world anymore. The darkness of the house so late at night crept up on then, encasing them in a cape of unbreakable coldness. Asteria instinctively grasped Sirius' hand as he tentatively made his way down the stairs.

"Try not to wake my brother." Sirius whispered as they passed Regulus' room.
"Would be funny though." Asteria murmured to herself.

The only thing that kept her from shivering or her teeth from chattering was the small sense of warmth that filled her, emanating from where her hand was touching Sirius'.

"Just so you know, I don't know how to cook." Sirius gripped onto the banister of the stairs so as not to fall over and drag Asteria with him.
"Neither can I but I can make sandwiches."

Upon arriving in the kitchen Asteria perched on a rickety bar stool at the small table, watching as Sirius raided through the various drawers and cupboards.

"I have no idea where we keep the bread..." Sirius realised slowly.
"I don't mean to be pedantic but... I think that small tin says 'bread bin' on it." Asteria pointed to a large cylindrical metal container that stood beside the fridge on the counter.

Sirius turned to face her, "I swear I'm smart." He insisted before opening up the tin and pulling out several slices of bread.

"Is there anything to put on it?" Asteria asked, not wanting to sound picky but also not too pleased about the idea of eating slices of plain bread.
"Oh right yeah... Jam?"
"What flavour?"
"Raspberry is the only correct answer." Sirius nodded, pulling the jar out of the cupboard.
"Good thing I only like raspberry." Asteria smiled sweetly.

Asteria sat quietly, watching Sirius spread butter over the slices of bread. "Fancy a drink?" Sirius asked, biting his tongue as he wrestled with the jam jar.
"A warm drink?" Asteria asked, stifling her laughter.
"Coffee?"
"Yeah sure."

Asteria continued to laugh quietly as she watched Sirius biting his tongue as he concentrated on making two drinks whilst making the sandwiches.

"I can do something if it makes it easier for you." Asteria offered.
"It's fine, here." Sirius held out a mug to Asteria, and she took it happily.

Asteria blew cold air gently over the top of her drink before taking a sip of it.
"No milk?" Sirius asked.
"No thanks, I like black coffee."

Sirius frowned, stirring his own drink, "You do coffee wrong."
"Coffee wrong?" Asteria raised an eyebrow at him.
"I add milk and sugar. That's how you do coffee." He shrugged, folding his arms.

"Have you ever tried coffee my way?" Asteria smirked.
"No, why would I?"
"Try a sip." Asteria held out the mug.
"No, that's gross."
"You're drinking the same thing just with milk in it.
"And sugar?"
"Yeah whatever, try a sip."

Sirius sighed and gave in, taking the drink and staring deep into it before swallowing a gulp. Instantaneously Sirius keeled over and dramatically began to gag and wretch.

"Sirius that's not funny." Asteria bit down on her own tongue now.
"I'm dying, you're right it's not funny. That coffee could kill me!" Sirius laughed, passing the cup back and then adding another overdramatic cough for emphasis.
"It could not, you are such a liar!" Asteria laughed.

"Black coffee is horrid. It's just wrong." Sirius shook his head and drank from his own mug.
"Your coffee is wrong." Asteria mocked him.

"You're wrong." Sirius chuckled at her response.
"I am not!" Asteria exclaimed and then frantically clapped her hands over her mouth.

The two of them listened intently for any sound of movement upstairs, yet nobody awoke. And so they continued to eat and drink and laugh and fall for each other deeper without even realising.