Chapter Seventy One

five months later

five months later

april 14th 1980

Asteria rolled over onto her back as the sound
of high pitched screaming awoke her. She let out a sigh as her heavy eyelids slowly dragged open.

"Sirius?" She nudged his back with her elbow but was met with no response.

"Fluffy," She sing-sung, nudging him again.

"Ri, please, I know I'm hot but it's like the middle of the night can't you wait till morning?" Sirius rolled onto his back and turned to look at Asteria.

"Sirius!" Asteria grumbled.

"Okay, okay I'm up." Sirius lifted his head up and slowly pushed himself to stand up.
"Thank you." Asteria closed her eyes gently as he left the room.

The door closed behind him with a click and silence befell the house. For once, peace reigned over the Halloway-Black household. It was blissful.

Suddenly the door was kicked open and Sirius stumbled into the room with his arms full of a small bundle.

"Look who I've brought!" Sirius chuckled, sitting down on the edge of the bed and holding the baby out.

"Sirius please I-" Asteria looked over at Sirius, with his arms outstretched dangling a baby over the bed, "What are you doing?" She cooed.

The small baby gargled and drooled as Asteria raised her arms and took the child from Sirius. Asteria bounced the baby up and down on her stomach, smiling and chatting with the girl. Sirius climbed back into bed, pushing his hair out of his face as he lay down beside Asteria.

"See? Problem solved?" He smiled, holding out his hand as the baby baby wrapped her hand around his finger.

"She can't really sleep here, Fluffy." Asteria pursed her lips but couldn't hide the smile as she watched the baby blow spit bubbles at Sirius.
"Why not? She's so cute." Sirius pouted his lips.

"W-what if she gets squished?" Asteria asked quietly, her cheeks instantly flushing red.
"We'll just stay here until she falls asleep, then I'll take her back to her room." Sirius comprised, sliding his arm around Asteria.

Asteria ran her fingers through the baby's thin black hair as the child stuck her tongue out and allowed drool to flow down her chin.

"She must get the dribbling from you." Asteria frowned, wiping it away.
"From me? I don't dribble!" Sirius exclaimed, moving to lie on his side.
"Dogs slobber." Asteria scrunched up her nose at him.

"Okay, hand her here." Sirius stretched out his arms and took the baby from Asteria, "She's not dribbling now." Sirius mused, holding his child.

Just then, the baby opened her mouth and gargled, allowing saliva to fall from her lips and down Sirius' arm.