Chapter Twenty Eight|| Paranoid

{Aurora's POV}

I felt that I have to now constantly look over my shoulder.

Jackson and I returned home and i've been paranoid ever since.

Not only have I had a reunion with Brett, but now I feel its about time with Christian's Dad also. I don't think i'll ever get a break.

What did I do to deserve all this to be happening to me?

"Are you okay?" I heard and looked up seeing Jackson staring at me from his desk.

I brought my legs up to my chest wrapping my arms around them and sat my chin on my knee.

"No." I mumbled and he sighed sitting his papers down and stood walking over to the couch where I sat and sat next to me. He pulled me to his side and I let him and wrapped my arms around his waist laying my head on his chest as he wrapped an arm around my back.

"I'm not going to let anything happen to you." He said.

"That's a hard thing to promise, Jackson. He's a previous king for heavens sake. He has connections from anywhere." I mumbled.

"Yes, but Christian is on our side. He isn't going to let him harm you. He told you that last night." I just closed my eyes focusing on the rhythm of his heartbeat. It was soothing.

"Must I remind you Christian led the men right to my mom when she was killed?" I said after a minute or two.

"Accidentally led," He corrected. "He was trying to help you guys. How was he supposed to know the men would turn on him?" Jackson said and I sat up meeting his eyes.

"Are you defending him?" I asked.

"As a matter of fact I am. You can't hate him forever. Yes, I'm still pissed at him for locking you in that cell and forcing you to see Evan again, but what happened with your mother was completely unpredictable. He didn't do it intentionally. I know Christian, and no matter how many times you will have a dispute with him, he will always be there for you. He's not some malice person." Jackson explained.

"What if I was the person that got killed and not my mother, what would you think then?" I asked and he gritted his jaw.

"You can't pull the mate card on me, Aurora. One, I wouldn't have even met you, which means I wouldn't have ever found a mate, so I wouldn't think anything of it. Two, to be logical you can't go back in time so there is no point in trying to play that card on me." I sometimes hated him and his smarty ways.

I just rolled my eyes laying my head back on his chest.

"Love, you can't beat Christian up over this. We need him as an ally right now." He said placing a kiss on the top of my head and I just wanted to cry or scream.

"Im..." I stopped mid sentence. I couldn't let myself show him that side of me.

No one but my father had ever seen it. I didn't like feeling weak, or defeated, I always had a plan; however, today it seemed like there was no options on the table.

"You're what?" He asked confused.

"Nothing." I mumbled and his hand found my chin as he turned my head to meet his eyes once again.

"You're what? Aurora, let me in. You have to talk to me about things. Im your mate and nothing will change that." He said and I could feel the tears build up and I quickly blinked them away looking somewhere else.

"You're scared." He said with realization.

"No," I snapped. "Im not scared." I said as if I was trying to prove that to myself.