Prologue

A HUGE thanks to @Ms_Kupcake for the amazing trailer for Girl In The Hoodie. Go check her out, she also does covers and a bunch of other amazing work. <3

~~~~~~~~~

This is just a quick run through of the book and the people in it. 

But first, a real prolog that I owe to you all:

Beth's P.O.V

"The flames start to rise...and I dance through them as best I can, though in the end, I fall...and the flames consume us all...but I'm the only one who burns," my mom reads before closing the book.

"What? That's the ending?!"

My mom hands me a smile before slowly getting up and putting the book on the wooden shelve above my bed.

"Well, you remember the beginning, right," my mom asks as she sits at the end of my bed.

"No," I admitted, handing her a guilty smile.

"Well, it started with that quote, in the very first sentence."

I give her a weird look as if she grew two heads, only making her smile and let out a small laugh.

"Well, the writer was trying to say the resolution for the main character was the demise and ending for the villain's story. No matter how you end a book, someone will get burned, or lose. The opposite of what the hero wanted to happen." she explains as she hands me my blanket.

"The villain deserves it though. He was the bad guy."

"You don't know his story. Maybe if the hero gave him a chance, he could have been better."

"But if the hero did, the villain could have stabbed the hero in the back."

"When did you get so smart," she questions as she moves my pillow up slightly.

I smile and shrug my shoulders, leaning back on my arms as I sit up in bed.

"Alright, well it's time for bed," my mom sighs, tucking in the blankets over me.

I watch as she stands up and turns off the lamp beside my bed before she walks to the door that's open just enough to let a strip of bright light flood in from the hallway.

"But if the hero did, it would have started a whole new story," she whispers loud enough for me to hear before closing the door, leaving me in a soft darkness.

I wait a moment before getting out of bed, un-tucking the blankets and grabbing the flashlight I keep hidden under my pillow. I stand up slowly to keep the bed from creaking too much and let my fingers scan over the books in front of me on the shelf.

I stop and smile as I find my favorite book about fighting and pull it down. It's about learning how to fight and different moves to get away or win.

I put the flashlight between my shoulder and neck, tilting my head to keep it there as I use both my hands to pull it out and keep the others from falling. I slowly crouch back down and pull the blanket over myself and I begin to read.

And I didn't even know that this night would be my last of this kind of life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~