(Part 2) Chapter 3: Standing Up

Willow: Look at the date on your phone

Me: Well that explains a lot

Alan: Care to explain why you're up at five AM yet?

Me: I got sick and woke up

A: You threw up

Me: Yeah, I'm good though. What happened while I was out?

Gray: We'll explain when we get there

Me: It's five in the morning

L.J.: Your point being?

Me: Nevermind, see you guys soon.

Trever: Already in the parking lot

I turn off my phone and sigh.

"You're on the news," Gaby says looking to the t.v.

I look over and she turns it up.

"Well Dave, you remember the girl who fought off those school shooters two months ago?"

"How could I forget?"

"Well, why don't we turn it over to Anna for more?"

"Thank you, Rachel, well I am standing right outside the hospital right now with some of her former classmates who all call her a hero. She has been reported to wake up from her coma able to breathe on her own but with some memory loss. Although she is reported to be doing better and starting to recover."

"That is amazing, we can always use more people with that kind of courage and bravery. Beth, our hopes, and prayers are with you and we wish you the best."

I sigh. Hero? Bravery? Are you kidding? I almost peed myself from the second I heard the gunshots. I wish I had brought a diper the second I had rushed into that camera room.I did what I could like any half-way decent human being. 

I just did what I could. My hands were so shaky I had to aim for a big target to do anything. What I did was adrenaline, not bravery, not heroic.

"The whole city has been talking about you," Gaby says rubbing my shoulder.

I don't want the city talking about me! I don't wanna be known as the girl who shot a bunch of people, self-defense or not. I hadn't thought about this when I was firing that gun. All I was thinking about was surviving and not killing anyone. Helping my friends. That's it.

"School is in two months but it's up to you if you want to do online or homeschool instead. You don't have to decide right now."

A knock on the door comes as three doctors come in with vases of flowers, stuffed animals and balloons come in.

"Delivered a few hours ago," one of them says as they set it all in one counter before walking back out.

My jaw drops as the whole room begins to smell like the flowers.

"We have at least fifty more vases, stuffed animals, cards and balloons at home too. They haven't stopped coming in," Gaby says sighing

I run my hand back through my greasy hair before quickly pulling my hand away in disgust, not realizing how badly I need an actual shower. I look over to the doctor as she turns to me with a clipboard. I sign something to her.

'Can I take a shower?'

"Yeah, of course. Here," she says setting down her clipboard.

She quickly walks over to one side of the room with a wheelchair and brings it over to me. She helps me stand up and sit down in the wheelchair as my legs are weak from not using them for months.