Chapter 30: New Home

I make my way down carefully since the steps are carpet I am pretty happy.

I duck under the four stairs and by the wall making me invisible unless they walked over to me.

"She has been known to start fights, bad ones too."

"She's not in juvie. She can't be that awful kid you are telling me she is."

"Because she's sneaky, she doesn't get caught, she's not sloppy. She is smart and she can be an amazing kid, haven't heard a word since she was seven about fighting till a few weeks ago. Then at the place, she was threatening and starting all sorts of fights."

"That girl? The one who was shy to be around me and helped me grab cups without hesitation when my hands were full. That girl? Why are we discussing this again?"

"Look, I love seeing her have a home and life but her and other people don't mix well at all. You should understand that if anything goes wrong, don't send her back. Juvie might be the only place that can help straighten her out. It might be the best option now rather than in the future."

"Are you suggesting I get her put in juvie?"

"It might be the best thing for her, to get her to stop fighting."

"Thank you for your concern Andrew but you also have to look at this, her parents died in front of her at seven, her teachers are under suspicion that she has been being bullied for who knows how long, her father she thought loved her gave her up to go start a new life and abandon her after her mother died in front of her, she was in a place that has kids that are not nice and still gets straight A's. If I was her, I might as well gave up on life. So if she want's to fight to defend herself or go sparring to make herself feel better you better believe I will let her."

"Mrs. Elliot, I understand where you're coming from but-"

"No, no you don't. I was in juvie when I was a kid and it ruined me. I will not do that to her and you saying 'but' after that just shows you don't get where I am coming from. That girl has been through enough!"

"Mrs. Elliot, you must understand, she has given other kids black eyes. Broke their noses. I am trying to look out for your family."

"She is my family now, and I will look out for all of them, it is not your concern anymore Andrew. And did you ever hear what they did to cause her to switch."

Silence fills the air.

"Okay then. Beth! Breakfast is ready!" She shouts up the stairs.

Wow. Thanks, Andrew. Hope I never have to see you again. Gaby is my new favorite adult. She is on my side.

I slide back to the stairs and stand up and walk to them, making it seem as if I had just come down. He got the part about me being sneaky right.

I plaster a smile on my face and help her carry a few plates and cups filled with water over.

"You are so sweet." She exclaims as I take a plate from her hands and put it on the table.

She takes a seat across from Andrew and with me in the middle of the table.

She takes a plate and so does Andrew so I follow. There is a plate of pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, and french toast. Love being able to eat without being rushed.

They grab their food first. I grab a piece of french toast with a slice of bacon and a few scrambled eggs. 

"So Beth, do you know Leo very well?"

"I know who he is but I haven't really ever talked to him," I say swallowing my food before I talk.

"He can be a bit intimidating at first. You have never had siblings before, right?"