Twenty Three

After last night, Dan couldn't stop thinking. About Phil. About himself. About the fans.

"Dan?" Phil's voice made him look up. "You seem to be in deep into that cereal. What's up?"

"Thinking."

"About?"

"You. Me."

"And?"

"I'm scared. What'll people say? What if they judge us? What if people aren't okay? What if-"

"It doesn't matter what they say. Okay, Dan? Their opinions don't matter." Phil tried so much to convince Dan that not being straight was alright. Dan just never could process he was right.

"Wanna go? I'm up to drive for awhile," Dan spoke again. He changed the subject, knowing Phil would give another monologue if he didn't.

So, the boys finished their breakfast. They hopped into the car, allowing Dan to drive. Dan drove fast, a few ticks above the limit. But it never really had a negative impact.

So when Dan stopped at the red light, and the breaks didn't work, he froze. He stomped on them, earning a weird look when Phil noticed they passed the red light.

"Phil," Dan whispered. "T-the breaks."

"What?"

"The breaks won't work!" Dan yelled, clutching the wheel. Phil froze. "Oh fuck. Shit."

"Dan, I'm going to call the cops. Just drive. Stay calm, please? Its alright." Phil squeezed Dan's knee gently.

He dialed the police, trying to stay calm. Dan was focusing hard on the road, trying hard not to scream.

Phil didn't have a chance to press call when he felt the car stop. He heard a noise, and looked to see a car in front of him. Dan screamed too, and Phil watched him be thrusted forward when the two cars collided. Dan's head hit the steering wheel, and he stayed against it.

For a moment, Phil could only see black. May not have been a moment, he couldn't tell. But when he came to, he was in the car. He looked over, narrowing his eyes to see better.

Dan was still laying against the steering wheel. Phil blinked several times. He called out Dan's name, not knowing if it really came out.

He reached over, grabbing Dan's shoulder. He shook, hoping he would respond.

"Dan?" He whispered. "Dan, get up."

Dan didn't move, and Phil felt fearful. He shook Dan harder, trying to wake him up. He whimpered, shaking eventually stopping.

"Dan.." Phil's voice sounded faded.

He pressed against against the door and pulled the handle. He almost stumbled out, but managed to keep his balance.

His phone was in the car, smashed. He reached for it, head pounding. When he tried to turn it on, it flickered to life. He pressed the emergency call button, and looked around. A car from behind had hit them, and they had someone in front.

"Hello, 999, how may I help you?"

"I-I was just in an accident. My friend isn't responding to me whatsoever."

"Where was the accident located?"

Phil gave the area a description, not fully awhere of where they were.

The man on the line told him not to move Dan, but for himself to stay away from the scene until cops arrived.

Phil, of course didn't listen, and walked up to the first car. There was a little girl in the backseat, totally unresponsive.

But he didn't have time to think before cops pulled him away, and guiding him to a car to be taken to the hospital.