Forty

Phil's breathing was long drawn out and shaky. He was still above Dan, his head resting on his chest.

"A-are you okay?" Phil asked. Dan nodded, wrapping his arms around Phil's torso. "I tried not to hurt you."

"You didn't," Dan whispered. He ran his hand through Phil's hair. "I'm tired."

"Me too," Phil giggled. He ran a hand down his stomach.

"I love you," Dan whispered.

"I love you too, Dan. Dan, I love you so much."

They fell asleep next to each other, cuddling closely.

___

Dan couldn't stop himself. He cried. He shook. He wanted to puke. He felt like his whole fucking life was going to be over.

Only a few more minutes until they got here. Only a few more minutes until Dan was going to be arrested.

Phil came through the front door to find Dan on the couch. His head was hidden by his face, and loud sobs came from his throat.

"Dan?" Phil dropped the grocery bag, and ran over to the shaking boy. "Baby, what happened?"

"Fuck! Phil, I'm going to be arrested!" He shouted. He was shaking, and his eyes spilled tears.

"What? Why, what happened?"

"Faith called the fucking cops! She told them I fucking abused her!" He was trembling, wiping away tears.

"Wh- you would never! Dan, they'll see you never did!"

"They're coming here, they're going to arrest me, I'm going to jail!"

"Thats not for sure, Dan. How do you know she called?"

"She won't stop texting me! I didn't want you to be upset, but she's non-stop been texting me. Weeks."

"We'll tell them that! You never touched her, Dan. Not like that. I promise you'll be okay." Dan shook his head.

There was a knock on the door, and Dan started to cry harder.

Phil stood, grabbing Dan's phone on his way.

"Hello," Phil opened the door to see two officers.

"Hello, Phil Lester I presume?" Phil nodded. "May we come in?"

"Yeah," he stepped aside to let them in.

"Phil, we're going to ask you a few things, alright?" Phil nodded. Dan still hadn't walked in.

"Okay, Phil. Has Dan ever demonstrated any destructive behavior? Like, when he doesn't get his way he'll get angry?"

"No. Dan is actually a very nice person. It's really, really rare I ever see him angry. And I've really only seen him angry with himself. I think as we've been here together, we've only had one or two fights. And that's in six years."

The officer nodded.

"Have you ever witnessed abuse on his end? When he was with Faith Hercoun?"

"No. She actually broke it off with Dan because he wouldn't have sex with her. He didn't want to," Phil told them, holding Dan's phone tightly. "And now she won't stop messaging him. Me and Dan have been together for awhile, and he would never hurt me or anyone. If you want evidence of Faith non-stop messaging him, I can show you."

He knew Dan's password, getting in easily. Neither him nor Phil had any secrets, so why bother hiding a password?

He showed them the messages. Dan had practically pleaded her to leave him alone.

"Do you know where Daniel is?" One of the officers asked.

"Yeah, follow me," he led them into the living room, where Dan sat. He had his head in his hands.

"Hello, Daniel. I'm officer Brown. Are you aware of  why we are here today?"

"Y-yeah. Faith told me she called you for abuse."

"Have you-"

"No. I'd never touch her like that! I loved her so fucking much. She broke it off because I wouldn't have sex with her." They nodded.

Twenty minutes later, Faith was knocking at the door. The officers had called her, trying to get the story straight.

Dan practically shook when he saw her. He hadn't seen her since the breakup.

And she looked like a mess.