Thirty One

By the time Dan had managed to sit up, it was three in the morning. Truthfully, he had woken up at two. But he couldn't find the energy to sit up and press play on the remote. A random movie he chose was still on the home screen, music softly playing. It had lulled Dan to sleep, not bothering him that it was on.

Although, if it had been up to Dan, he would have fallen back asleep. But the sound of creaky floorboards and the fridge opening had him on his bum.

He stood, walking out into the kitchen. Phil jumped, looking at Dan.

"Sorry, you scared me. I thought you were asleep," Phil said. Dan shrugged, and closed the fridge. He stepped closer to Phil, making the older boy back away.

"Phil, I'm sorry," Dan said. He stepped closer again, this time Phil didn't move. "I didn't mean to yell. I know you were helping, and I was just angry. I'm angry at the world. It's my fault we were in the hospital, my fault the little girl almost died, and my fault I crashed the car. It's my fault I have this dumb cast on. And it's my fault for hurting you."

Phil blinked, and said nothing for a minute.

"Phil, please. I'm so, so sorry."

"It's okay-"

"No! Phil, it's not okay. Don't just-"

"No. Dan, it is okay. Couch. Cuddle. Now." Phil grabbed Dan's arm, Dan stunned. He pulled Dan along with him.

"Phil, stop. It's not okay. I had no right to flip-"

"Dan." Phil stood still, looking directly into his eyes. "Its okay. I understand that this whole thing is frustrating. I understand it. It's not going to stop me from helping you, though. I was never mad at you, so stop apologizing, okay?" Phil gave him a smile, putting a hand on his cheek. "It's alright."

"You promise?"

"I promise on all of my houseplants and your cereal. So come on, let's lay on the couch and cuddle."

And they laid on the couch, Dan laying his head on his cast as the other arm rested against Phil's waist. Phil's eyes had closed about twenty minutes ago, swearing he'd stay awake. But, of course, here he was, breathing coming slower and heavier, mouth open just the slightest bit. Dan smiled, closing his eyes as well. He fell asleep easier knowing Phil was okay.

His phone went off before he knew it, making him groan. He wanted more time with Phil.

Phil's eyes opened slowly.

"Dan," he whined. "I'm going to throw your phone."

"Oh hush. I hafta go see Melanie today." His eyes shot open.

"Why? Are you okay?"

"Shh, calm down. It's just my weekly appointment. I'll see you later," Dan giggled, standing off the couch.

Phil grabbed his wrist.

"Wait."

"Hmm?"

"Can we cuddle again when you come back?" Dan smiled.

"Course," he replied. Phil smiled, letting him go. Dan walked into his room, taking off his current shirt to replace it with a warmer one. He saw himself in the mirror and froze.

He forgot about his hair.

"Phil?" He yelled, walking into the bathroom. He heard the sound of Phil's footsteps until he stopped in front of Dan.

"You want me to straighten your hair?" He asked, reaching for the straightener in his hands. Dan nodded, and they waited for it to heat up.

When it was done, and Dan ran a hand through his hair. He thanked Phil.

"Now I gotta go. I gotta like, call a cab. But I'll see you in about two hours." Phil nodded, hugging him quickly.

"Okay. I'm probably going to film a video. I'll see ya."