Thirty

"Phil?" Dan knocked on Phil's door. It opened a crack, and Phil looked up at Dan.

"Yeah?" He was so quiet, it was almost a whisper. "D-do you need something?"

"I'm sorry I yelled." Dan tried to push his door open a little more, but Phil held it firmly in place. "I'm just agitated because I don't like relying on people. You didn't-"

"It's fine," Phil interrupted. He pushed the door closed again, not letting Dan finish. Dan's heart sunk.

Of course it wasn't fine. Phil only said that so Dan would stop.

"Phil, can we please talk about this?" Dan asked. He raised his voice so Phil could hear him properly from the other side. He didn't get an answer, but heard Phil's bed creak.

He sighed, deciding to leave it alone for now.

______

When Dan found out Louise had asked Tyler and Anthony out for lunch, he was jealous. It would have been fine, except that Tyler texted him asking where he was.

Louise had forgotten to ask him, and now Dan couldn't go. He couldn't drive, and even if he could, they had no car. Which, in fact, was his own fault.

So, Dan sat in the living room, alone, waiting for takeout to arrive. Phil was mad, Tyler was with Louise, and nobody else would really care.

It was then that Dan's phone rang, causing him to smile a bit. He frowned when he saw the number was one he did not recognize, but picked up.

"Hello?"

"Is this Daniel Howell?"

"Yes it is. Who is this?"

"Hi Dan! I'm Marissa Trover from Al's car shop. While we were trying to fix your car, we noticed that the breaks had been tampered with. Have you or anyone else recently tried to fix or mess with them?"

"What? No, not that I know of. Couldn't they just be messed up from the accident?" Dan asked.

"There's a small probability that was the cause, but we're fairly certain they were tampered with prior to then. If you'd like, we can get the local police to run tests, though it's unlikely they'll find anything due to the current state of the car itself."

"Uh, no, that's okay."

"Alright. Well, I'll go ahead and tell my boss no then. We'll call you if we find anything else wrong, okay?"

"Okay, thank you." When the line went dead, Dan just stared. Nobody had worked on the car since last year.

Maybe someone who deeply hated them managed to figure out where they lived.

Dan tried brushing it off, trying not to worry. Nobody had much against them, so the lady was probably wrong.

Still, he had an itching feeling in his stomach. What if someone really hated them? Deeply? What if someone found out about Phan being real, and they hated gays?

Dan put his face in his hands.

No, he was being silly. Right? It was just silly. Stupid. Nobody would go that far because two guys got together.

Dan groaned, leaning back in the couch. Today was so stressful. He wanted a drink to help himself calm down, but he could do something stupid while drunk. Like hurt Phil again.

Dan was so done, and just wanted to sleep. He had to get up tomorrow to see his therapist anyways. Another thing to stress; how would he get there?

He decided to wait until tomorrow to decide that, and let himself fall asleep against the armrest of the couch.