0.4

"I-" Thomas started, unsure of what to say. What did you say at a time like this? For all he knew, Newt could be tricking him and he was going to kill him. He should have known accepting the offer of staying here would lead to death. Why is he different from anyone else who has walked through the halls after being convicted of a crime? When Newt made the offer, he should have gone back home with his family. They needed him. Still, Thomas felt drawn to Newt. "Sure. I'll go with you."

T I M E  S K I P

Newt and I were walking, me a step behind him, through town. People stared and I kept my hand down. We reached the old church building where Newt had said the Priest wanted to meet with him. When we got there, I stayed behind Newt. No one was there, but I still felt out of place. My family hadn't been very religious.

A couple minutes into waiting, the Priest came out followed by a boy and a girl. They didn't look alike, so I don't think they were siblings. The Priest bowed and shook hands with Newt. "Hello, your majesty," he smiled, "I'm glad you could be here. There's something I've been wanting to speak to you about. The kingdom needs someone by your side."

"And why is that?" Newt challenged, his voice louder.

"Well, uh," the Priest stuttered, "what if you were to die. There'd be no one of the Royal Family to succeed you. It'd be complete chaos! So it's best if you have a woman by your side to have children with."

"But what if I don't want a woman by my side? What if I don't feel attraction to women? What if I want to be by myself? What if I don't want children? What if I'm gay?" Newt's voice got colder with every what if. "Did you ever think about that?"

"Actually," the Priest regained himself, "I did think about those things . . . Well, maybe not the not wanting children part or the wanting to be alone part, but I did think about if you were gay. Minho!" The boy stepped up and bowed to Newt.

"No," Newt immediately said, causing the Priest and the boy named Minho to step back. "I don't want the rest of the days with them. Tommy," I stepped up, "will be my spouse. That's final."

"What?" The Priest and I said in unison. My mind began to race. I'm mearly a peasant. Not once before I got in the castle did I ever leave the neighborhood. Yes, I was gay, but my family couldn't be put to jeapordy like that. The Priest would have something done to them.

"Newt," I started, "I'm not gay." Newt turned to look at me. At first he was shocked, but then anger took over. He grabbed my arm and practically dragged me back to the castle. When we got there, he threw me to one of the guards.

"Take him," Newt declared. "I'll give further instructions later." The guard nodded and I was being pulled away. If only he'd let me explain what I was scared of. I guess I'll just have to deal with the punishments. Oh well, I tell myself, at least your family is still okay.