3.1

It happened almost as if a lightning bolt had surged through him, giving him energy. What was once soft, slow breathing became hard inhales of oxygen. It was that feeling like when you're trying to see how long you can hold your breath under water and you almost stay under too long. When you do resurface, you gasp rapidly, refilling your lungs with much needed oxygen. That's what it felt like to Thomas when he woke up.

His head was dizzy, but that didn't stop him from sitting up quickly. Thomas expected to be back in the cave, waiting for Minho to come through and take everything out on Thomas. Instead, he was in a bed in what was unmistakably the infirmary. Someone was in the chair next to him, staring like they've seen a ghost. Newt. That's who the person was. From the sandy blonde hair to the hazel eyes. All the way to how he didn't care how he sat when there wasn't an audience. Everything screamed Newt. Despite having pain coursing through his body, Thomas smiled at his husband.

"How long was I out?" Thomas asked, looking around the room seeing that no one else was there.

"Almost four months," Newt said and Thomas frowned. "Three weeks past our one year anniversary. But it's okay because you squeezed my hand when I told you."

The two sat in silence for a while before a nurse walked in and started fussing over the fact that Thomas needed rest. He tried arguing that he basically slept for four months, but she wasn't having it. "I'll go tell everyone that Thomas is back," Newt said and left.

An hour or so later and Thomas woke back up to see everyone surrounding him.  A smile made their way onto everyone's faces. Instantly everyone was talking over each other. Thomas ignored the pounding in his head and caught up with his friends. He thanked them over and over again for saving him. If it weren't for everyone in the castle, he'd still be getting tortured by Minho. Newt seemed to know what Thomas was thinking and grabbed his hand.

"Don't worry, Tommy," he cooed, "Minho is dead. He can't hurt you now." Thomas nodded and smiled. Newt was right. Now they could be happy together forever.

After a few days, Thomas was able to leave the infirmary. He missed being able to wander the halls to clear his mind. Mostly though, he missed sitting in the throne room talking to Newt for hours on end. And so that's what they did. They talked and talked, making up for the past months from both when Thomas unconscious and when he was being hidden by Minho.

The kingdom that was once uneasy, unsure of whether or not they were safe, were now filled with laughter and normality. Knowing they were safe from Minho randomly stricking against theirselves or one of the kings made the people happier than they have been in a long while. It was safe to say that the kingdom is a better place now.