2.9

*Before Thomas was saved*

"King Newt!" the guards ran into the throne room. Newt jumped in surprise, urging them to continue. "We believe we know where Minho is keeping King Thomas."

"Where?" Newt asked, unsure of whether or not they were lying.

"In a cave, but some explorers have ventured into it and got lost," the guard informed. Newt nodded.

"Take me there," Newt stood up. The guards were about to protest, but Newt was already out of the throne room.

After a ten minute walk, the guards and Newt were at the entrance of the cave. Newt took the lead. Every once in a while, he would hear a scream and go closer to the noise. Each scream sounded more familiar than the next. The screams stopped and they heard footsteps echoing off the walls of the cave. Soon they were face to face with Minho. He ran and Newt and the guards chased after him. Minho was still a lot faster.

After a series of turns, they reached the place Minho had held Thomas hostage. He was holding Thomas at knife point, the blade resting on Thomas' neck. "Come closer and I'll kill him," Minho warned. Newt and the guards stopped immediately.

"Newt," Thomas groaned. "Please."

"Don't worry, Tommy, we'll get you out of here," Newt assured him. "Just hang tight."

"How do you suppose that you'll do that?" Minho snarled, bringing the knife closer to Thomas' neck, making Tommy gasp for breath as the cold metal hit his skin even more. Newt could see blood dripping from Thomas' head and it made him even more mad.

"I'll make you a deal," Newt took a step forward. "Let Tommy go and I'll let you live." Minho thought about it.

"What's the joy in living if you're known for killing people? Isn't it more beneficial to die in the midst of crime? Or to live while taking your anger out on a poor, innocent soul?" Minho threw Thomas' to the corner. And got closer to Newt. "Let's say I let Thomas go. He's too broken to rule the kingdom anyway so anyone with half a brain would be able to overthrow him. And in return I get to keep you here instead."

"Okay," Newt agreed. "Just don't hurt Thomas anymore."

"It won't be me hurting him," Minho smiled. "It'll be someone else hurting him. You'll see what I mean in a little while." Newt nodded.

"Can I just say goodbye to him?" Newt asked. Minho nodded and Newt went over to Thomas' body. His plan was going perfectly and Minho was watching Newt. Carefully, Newt picked up the knife that was discarded next to Tommy and slipped it into his jacket. When Newt stood up, Minho turned to the guards.

"You two may take Thomas," Minho said. Newt took this opportunity to bring out the knife and stab Minho with it in the head. He passed out immediately. He wasn't dead yet, but he'd be sooner or later. One of the guards grabbed Tommy and they ran back to the castle. By now, Thomas was passed out. When they got him to the infirmary, Newt bent down and kissed Thomas' head.

"Don't give us on us-me-Tommy," Newt sat in a chair and held his hand. He cried. Cried until his eyes had no more tears. Even then he cried without using tears. Just sat there, screaming to no one in particular, his sobs filling the castle.