2.7

The guards have been searching for weeks and still no sign of Thomas or Minho. They've checked everywhere in the kingdom. By now, he ought to be dead. Or maybe they're not even in the kingdom at all. "Sir," one of the guards said to Newt, who hasn't said much since Thomas was taken, "what if he was taken out of the island." Newt shook his head. It was impossible. He had set up harsh defenses to keep Minho in. The guards sighed and left to continue their search.

---

"Alright, Boy. Get up," Minho demanded when as he walked in. Thomas quickly obliged and stood weakly in front of Minho. "Do you want to go outside?" Thomas nodded, unsure of what would happen. "Answer me with words!" Minho shouted, slapping Thomas. "Do. You. Want. To. Go. Outside?"

"Y-yes," Thomas stuttered. Not saying anything, Minho gripped his shoulder and dragged Thomas through a series of tunnels. Thomas tried to memorize every turn but quickly stopped after looking down at his hand, not wanting to risk another finger. He just hoped that someone would walk by and notice them.

"Alright," Minho said when they reached outside, "don't say anything to anyone. Don't leave my side. And most importantly, don't try to escape." Thomas muttered his agreement and followed Minho through trees. They seemed to be in the woods that weren't too far from the palace.

"Why are we outside?" Thomas asked before he could stop himself. Minho glared at him and gave him the smile that he does when Thomas gets in deep trouble. Holding his breath, he waited for something to happen.

"Stay," Minho ordered and went back through the trees. Thomas stayed where he was and waited for Minho to come back.

A short time passed and Minho returned with a long thin but sturdy stick. Thomas swallowed hard. "Strip your shirt and stand arms length away from the tree putting your weight on your hands which will be on the tree. Back facing me," Minho commanded. Thomas nodded and did as instructed.

Minho walked behind Thomas and drew the stick back only to bring it down on Thomas' back. "Don't."

"Ask." Another hit.

"Questions!" A third hit.

After the third hit, there was no pause in between the smacks. Soon, maybe 20 or 25 hits later, Minho stopped and led Thomas back into the cave. Apparently his idea of taking Thomas outside had been ruined.