Chapter 38: A Loving Goodbye

•Key•
Y/n: Your Name
L/n: Last Name
F/n: Fake Name
H/c: Hair Color
H/l: Hair Length
E/c: Eye Color
F/c: Favourite Color
2/f/c: Second Favorite Color
F/a: Favourite Activity
F/f: Favourite Food
N/n: Nickname
M/n: Mother's Name

Italics are thoughts...

Your POV

Vylad and I walk back into Phoenix Drop hand-in-hand, ring-to-ring and I feel... happy. Happy that he's so close to me again. Happy that he still loves me as much as I love him. Happy that I have this beautiful ring as physical proof of his love.

... but that happiness fades away when I see Owl, Alec, and Travis walking up to us.

Oh no...

Vylad immediately hides behind me after seeing them.

Owl is the first to get to me and has a very relieved look on her face. "Y/n! Where have you been?! The boys told me you just up and left to find Vylad and-!" Suddenly, that relief vanishes as she notices the boy behind me.

"I see you found him..." Travis mumbles, staring.

Finally, Alec gets to us, looking extremely angry. He grabs Vylad by the arm and pulls him away from me. "You idiot! How could you just leave her like that?! I have NEVER seen her so upset in my LIFE and it's because of YOU! Then you just decide to come back and hide behind her like a coward?!"

"Alec-" Owl gasps, trying to pull him away. It didn't work.

Vylad chuckles darkly. "Well, it's not like you've been so faithful to her, either. I remember seeing you run away like a chicken while she was fighting for her life." His voice was calm, but I knew his Shadow Knight side was just itching to come out.

"Vylad..." I mutter, but I don't do anything. Whatever I do, I know that it'll just make this situation worse. It's safer to just watch this play out.

Just then, Alec's face softens as he lets Vylad go. "F-Fine... maybe we both haven't treated her properly but... I gave her my apology. What about you?"

Vylad grabs my hand, and our identical rings touch. Alec stares the promise rings, then sighs.

"I... I'm sorry. I just wanted to prove my point." Alec looks directly into Vylad's eyes. "You hurt her."

"I know, and, it's crushing me inside..." Vylad looks down at his feet.

Meanwhile, I look up at him. "... but I know you're sorry, right, V?" He nods as I turn to my friends. "Guys, thank you so much for your support but, trust me, he's owned up to his mistakes. He gave me this ring to apologize."

"Wow..." Owl says, grabbing my hand with the ring on it. "It's so pretty! He really does love you..."

"Sorry for getting kinda worked up about all that, we just want to make sure you're okay, Y/n. That's what friends are for!" Travis exclaims. Then, he looks at Alec, who's looking downward. "Alec? Bro, you okay?"

"Y-Yeah... I'm sorry I got my overprotective side get the better of me." Finally, the boy looks up and says, "A long time ago I lost a friend to someone who she once loved, I just don't want that to happen again. You one hundred percent PROMISE that you'll never hurt her again?"

Vylad nods. "I swear on my life."

Alec smiles. "Good, because if you do I'm going to kick your sorry a--"

"LANGUAGE, ALEC!" Owl shouts, hitting the back of his head.

Vylad and I laugh as Travis says, "Now that we've gotten that sorted out... why don't we head back to KC's place? There are still tacos there and I would HATE for those to go to waste."

We all agreed and walk together, Vylad's arm draped around my shoulders.

"Do you think they still trust me?" He whispers in my ear.

I shrug. "That doesn't matter, right now. All that matters is that we trust each other, and they seem fine with you at the moment."

"Okay... I love you so much."

I smirk. "I love me too."

Vylad laughs. "That makes me love you even more."
~
Now, we're just sitting in Kawaii~Chan's house eating tacos and cupcakes. KC, Nekoette, and Dante just got back so they've joined us. We're all having a great time.

"Hey, Sheep Boy, you made some really great food!" Alec exclaims, gulping down his third taco.

Everyone laughs as Travis facepalms and shakes his head. "Baa- I'm not a sheep!"

We all laugh harder. "Travis~Kun, you're funny!" Kawaii~Chan giggles.

Travis chuckles. "I didn't mean to sound like that but, thanks!"

I smile as everyone gets indulged in their own conversations. "I'm glad everyone's finally happy, but... how do you think Aphmau's doing?" I ask, looking up at Vylad, who's sitting next to me.

He shrugs. Suddenly, there's a knock at the door. Dante opens it to reveal Katelyn. "Hey, Dante- Travis! There you are. Aphmau's feeling much better, and she's requested for us to meet her at the old barn."

Vylad grins at me. "I guess that answers your question."

I nod, then I look over at Travis, who's smiling. "That's great! Both my girls are feeling better!" He exclaims, winking at me. "Let's go, Katelyn!"

I roll my eyes as Travis walks out the door. I look around, and I see that everyone is happier. Smiles are everywhere with the good news. I turn to look at Vylad once again but he's looking at me with a frown on his face. I raise an eyebrow.

"Vylad? Are you okay? You're the only one who doesn't seem happy."

He sighs. "Can I tell you something... outside?"

I nod. We both excuse ourselves from the table and head out.

"So, what did you want to tell me?" I ask.

V sighs. "As much as I want to stay here longer, Laurance is still out there, alone. He's in a dangerous state, you know this, and I need to go back. I don't even know where he is now and..."

"I understand, Vylad. You need to do your Shadow Knight duties. As long as you leave and I know you still love me."

Vylad smiles. "Of course, and I know just the thing to prove that to you."

The green-eyed boy slowly leans in and when I realize what he's doing I close my eyes. His lips meet mine and we share a sweet, loving kiss. When Vylad finally pulls away for air, he stares into my eyes. I stare back at him.

"I love you across the universe and back. Never forget that, even if someone tries to take our memories away from you. Promise?" Vylad asks.

"I promise."

With that, Vylad turns and walks into the shadows, his green scarf flailing in the wind behind him.

I sigh and turn around to see my sister's face pressing against the window glass. She has this big, stupid smile on her face. Kawaii~Chan is next to her, with the same smile.

The smile of a shipper...

Ah, whatever, let them be shippers... as long as Vylad and I finally got our loving goodbye.

~~~~~~~~~~~
A/n: Should I write about Alec's past before this book is done...? Maybe!

Hope this Thursday update makes up for last Saturday~ :)

~Owl♡