Company

"No, Alissa, that's not the only thing that makes me feel like a bad mom," she said sighing heavily.

"Thank god!" I snorted.

"I just didn't think you'd call me out like that," she muttered.

"Really? Why'd you think that? I mean, it's not like you're ever around to know something like that about me."

"Look, I'm sorry I left right after what happened-"

"What happened?"

"What?"

"You're saying 'what happened', but do you even know what happened?!"

After a few intense moments passed, I  probably wouldn't have heard her if I wasn't paying attention, she mumbled, "No, I don't."

"Exactly! Now if you're done, can you please leave?"

"Alissa-"

"We have a strict policy in this house; the kitchen is not for guests."

"I know because I set that policy! Now listen to me-"

"You are legit a guest here, so please escort yourself out of the kitchen," I mumbled turning all my attention to the bowl once again.

"I-"

"I know you don't live here anymore."

"What did you say?" She asked frowning.

"I know that for the last year you've been living down in Miami, 'mom'," I scoffed shaking my head.

"I don't know what gave you such an idea-"

"I was there once, on a school trip, and I saw you coming out of your mansion. I did my research and asked my questions."

"Alissa, it's not like that-"

"Tell me then, what it is?" I said challenge seeping into my voice.

"I-I-"

"You couldn't live here with those unbearable asses- by the way, I repeat the word asses not because of lack of complex words, but because nothing describes them better!" I said trying to control the anger from seeping through my veins.

"Not just that-"

"But you couldn't think of your poor daughter who lost everything and probably would've wanted to move away and be with you? You didn't, and, now, that daughter of yours wants nothing to do with you, so if you could please leave the damn kitchen already!"

"No."

"Why are you even back here?!"

"Alissa, don't do this- don't shut me out like that!" She yelled.

"No, mom, I get to shut you out because you abandoned me when I needed you the most! Since Dylan disappeared, mom, I've been a mess, okay?! I haven't been able to get out of bed once! I always have to drag myself out and not in the teenage moody way- no! I wake up, and I wish that I could just sleep again because I can't deal with anything- EVERYTHING. You never once thought how Dylan's dissappearance really affected me! I didn't get to say goodbye to my brother, my best friend and my other half. I may never see him again- can't you realize how hurtful and final that is?! I don't even know if he's dead or not! I'm holding onto that hope that he's alive because if he's not, I swear to you, I won't be able to do it anymore! I won't be able to live with myself knowing that I'm breathing, and he's not. I can't even find words to tell you how much I can't do this! You haven't been around to see how bad things have been getting!"

"You make it seem like I'm not involved in your life at all, Alissa."

"You really want to do this? Huh?! Tell me one important thing that has happened that you know about!" I snapped.