{ CHAPTER 58 }

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18 years had passed since Umi had the unfortunate luck of shipwrecking into the island where the Chihaki clan resided. Unfortunate or fortunate, she wasn't sure at the time.

Time passed by so quickly, it seemed like it was just yesterday when Reno proposed to Umi right after becoming the new Chief of the Chihaki Clan.

Now, at the clear age of 36, was Umi laying on a hammock tied between two coconut trees on a peaceful hill. The view in front overlooked the ocean, whereas the small village was situated behind her, just below the said hill where she was chilling out.

With a hand resting on top of her evidently bulging stomach, Umi's eyes fluttered open from her supposed nap when the sound of rustling grass replaced the soft chirps of the birds.

"How's it going, chief?" Umi greeted Reno with a smile as he neared her.

The usually stern and firm expression of the brunet melted away and was replaced with a ghostly smile at Umi's cheerful tone. Only she could do that to him.

"Everything's going well," Reno said, sitting down on the side of the hammock as it swayed due to the movement. "You looked really peaceful there, aren't you bored just lying down here?"

Umi shifted, her gaze darting from Reno to the sky, where it was clear of clouds for that day.

"No, I was just looking at the sky." Subconsciously, she rubbed her stomach. Reno noticed this small gesture and chuckled.

"Is it because we're naming them Sora?" He placed a hand on top of Umi's hand and softly caressed it.

"Maybe. Maybe not."

Reno took Umi's hand and started playing with it, but his never left her face. "It's a nice name isn't it? It can be for either a boy or a girl."

Umi didn't reply. Instead, she abruptly sat up, causing the hammock to sway. Reno, slightly alarmed at her sudden jolt, sat up more attentively.

"What's wrong?"

Umi looked Reno in the eyes, and with a serious tone, said, "I'm hungry."

It took the brunet a few seconds to process her sudden craving for food, then remembered that this was a normal occurrence during pregnancy.

Reno internally smiled as he assured Umi that they have food in the house before he gently held her hand and steadied her as Umi stepped out of the hammock with slight difficulty.

He learned that when you're expecting a child, one should also expect various mood swings from your wife.

A few days later, Umi sat on the front stairs leading to the tent where Reno was currently living with her.

A couple of children ran around the streets playing tag, while most of the adults were chatting and laughing. Even though the war between the Ancient Kingdom and the Union was still ongoing, Umi couldn't tell because of the villagers' peaceful vibe.

Not that she was complaining, actually. It wasn't good for her to be stressed in her current condition.

"Thinking doesn't really go with your face, Umi."

The said woman snapped out of her thoughts and turned to her side, seeing a long-haired brunet leaning on the wooden pole that was used to hold the tent up.

Unamused, Umi rolled her eyes and looked back in front of her. "I thought you aren't supposed to be strutting around like that."

The man scoffed. "I'm not 'strutting' around. And yes, I'm not supposed to turn into my human form, but Reno-san specifically told me to watch over you while he's away for the meeting with the Kouzuki clan. I can break a rule or two for my master."