Prolouge

I walk down the long castle hallways, my heels clicking with each step

I'm absolutely dreading tonight. Since I am turning 18 my mother insists that I have an inauguration ceremony to celebrate ever being able to become queen after my mother, which I doubt will ever happen. I don't want to become queen. Sure my father taught me to be a leader, but queen? No thank you. That comes with too much responsibility. Yes, I am responsible, I just want to follow my own instincts and intuitions. My mother believes that women belong in formal dresses, poised and collected. While I agree with some of this. I also believe a woman should so as she pleases and be able to throw a good punch while at it.

I pass a mirror in the hallway and pause, looking at the girl in the mirror. She wears a long, deep purple gown with sequins spread apart at the top and closer together to the bottom of the gown. My gown has thick straps and a deep neckline, showing some cleavage upon my mother's request. My long dark hair is partially pinned up on top of my head with the rest in curls cascading down my back, covering the skin that the gown does not. My eyes are outlined in dark makeup and my lips are covered with a deep burgundy lipstick.

"Angelina!" My mother calls, "You need to be fitted for your crown, darling."

"Coming mother!" I call back as I tear myself away from the girl in the mirror. That girl is not me. I take after my father more than my mother, personality-wise.

My father is Robin Hood, the famous thief who would steal from the rich to give to the poor. He taught me how to sword fight, shoot an arrow without missing the target and to defend myself. I'd rather wear leggings and a shirt over a gown.

I walk down the hallway and enter my mother's room where she has servants to size me for my crown.

"I'll be back later for rehearsal," my mother kisses me on the cheek and walks out.

My mother is very powerful, and by that I mean she has magic. Dark magic. She usually spends her day locked in her vault practicing spells and making potions. My mother has a dark past, her first love was killed by her mother and she blames no-one other than Snow White. Yes Snow White the fairytale princess. I don't know why, she doesn't talk about it but is not happy unless she is plotting revenge against Snow.

Ms. Jane, our head servant starts measuring my head and testing many styles of crowns on my head. "What do you think, Angelina? It's what your mother picked out."

I look at myself in the full length mirror. A thick golden crown with many pellet sized diamonds sits upon my head. The crown itself stands about 5 inches above my head. "It's a bit heavy." I grimace.  I don't think I can wear this as much as I am going to need to, it feels like its trying to push my head down into my neck. I take the crown off and give it back to Ms. Jane.

"Do you have anything lighter?" I ask.

"Marcus!" calls Ms. Jane, "Would you please fetch Princess Angelina the crown in the gold case?" One of the servants rushes out of the room.

"I hate this. I don't want to be queen."

"I know princess, but it is your destiny."

"I just wish I could have a different destiny, like one of the village girls. They're so free."

"You're a princess -"

"I'm tired of being a princess! I hate the dresses, I can't leave the castle, I can't be myself."

Marcus comes back into the room with a golden box in his hand, which he hands to Ms. Jane.

"Let's try this one," Ms. Jane places the crown on my head. She steps back smiling.

I turn around and glance at myself in the mirror. On my head sits a light gold tiara. It's thin and lighter in weight than the last one. It has small diamonds throughout the tiara. "It's better." I take it off and hand it to Ms. Jane, "I'm sorry for snapping at you. This isn't against you."

"No need darling, have fun tonight Princess Angelina."

"Thank you," I smile and walk out of the room, heading to the ballroom for rehearsal.

After rehearsal I'm very anxious so I find the one thing that can calm me down, my bow. 

I leave my hair and makeup, but ditch the gown for my black leggings, tan button up blouse and a black corset. I pull on my black knee high boots and sling my arrows over my shoulder, heading to the target range.

I shoot arrow after arrow, hitting the target almost every time.

"Angelina!" I hear my mother yelling, "You have one hour missy, get yourself inside this castle and get dressed!"

I groan as I run to collect my arrows from the various targets and tree trunks.

  ➼ 

"Introducing, Princess Angelina." The Court Jester calls out as he places the tiara on my head.