Four| Feel the Buzz

Santana

"Happy birthday, Sanaa!" My younger sister was trying hard not to cry but this entire set up was beautiful

"Happy birthday, Sanaa!" My younger sister was trying hard not to cry but this entire set up was beautiful. Megan and I really went out of our way to shut down one of her favorite restaurants for her birthday party.

"You look so beautiful." My sister gushed as we posed for pictures.

"So do you, mi amor." Besides Megan, Sanaa was my original best friend. We were eleven months apart. My mama barely let herself heal properly before she was walking around with another swelled belly. But I didn't mind it at all because I couldn't even remember life without my baby sister. "Where is Nina?" I asked looking around for her girlfriend.

Sanaa rolled her eyes before trying to fix her face but it was too late. I had already peeped. "Who cares?"

"Oop." Megan spoke, taking a sip of her wine. I tried to ignore her but this girl was really hilarious. She never tried to be it was just how she was. "What happened? I really liked her."

Sanaa sighed as she looked at us. The rest of her party was filled with our childhood friends and our family. Thank God everyone knew each other. They were entertaining each other so we had the privacy to get this tea. "We broke up."

Our heads jumped back in surprise. Ever since my sister came out her senior year of high school, Nina had been the only girl she was in a relationship with. Sure Sanaa tried to date men but her attraction just wasn't the same. At first my mom took it kind of hard. She would make little slick comments about me being the only one able to produce grandkids. I didn't understand because Sanaa's ovaries didn't dry up because she preferred women. That entire year was stressful on everyone. I had to literally sit my mother, Daliah down and talk to her about the way she was making my sister feel.

Since my mom was the second generation of immigrants, she was still trying her best to adopt to the culture of America and the changing times. I was right there to open her eyes. When I brought home a White man three years ago, she damn near disowned me. It was a mess. Eventually she came around but it was his family that ultimately ended the relationship. They had been here for hundreds of years and still couldn't understand why their son was bringing home a Black woman and I did not have the time for that shit.

"Put that phone down." My mama spoke.

Sanaa rolled her eyes and faced us to continue her story. "We just grew apart. She wants to go overseas to play ball and I'm perfectly fine staying in LA." My sister was modeling now and trying to make a name for herself. Her name was starting to create a little buzz so I knew she wasn't about to give that up.

"That's selfish, Sanaa." Megan pointed out. "She got traded to follow you. Relationships cause some sacrifice. When she gave up stayin' here for you, you were fine with it but now that it's for her, you're against it. I don't fuck with that. Plus she'll make hella bank over there."