Chapter 27

As my new power begins to surge through my veins, my ears begin to ring, and a strange feeling washes over me. Something's wrong! I don't feel like myself. It's like something is trying to take hold of me. I grab my head and release a scream, as a strange darkness completely surrounds me.

"Aqua!" Rena shouts worriedly. The winx start to call out to me, but their voice start to fade. My connection to the ocean grows rapidly, as I close my eyes and feel the warmth of the water around me. Honestly speaking, this new power feels strangely warm and reassuring.

I look at my friends, who have concerned looks on their faces. I carefully examine their every movement, longing to rejoin them. My body refuses to move, as tears form in my eyes. Why did I do this? What's the point of accepting a huge responsibility just to ensure that someone doesn't get that power?

"She needs us!" Bloom states, swimming towards me. The other girls follow right behind her, with nervous expressions on their faces. The moment they reach me, tears stream down my cheeks. "I think I can control it," I say softly, feeling their warm gazes.

"Aqua, you're amazing. We're so proud of you," Stella says, nodding in my direction. Just as I reach out to hug her, a tingling feeling spreads across my body like a waterfall. My legs vanish into thin air, immediately being replaced with a mermaid tail.

"Aqua, what happened?" Roxy gasps

"Aqua, what happened?" Roxy gasps. I start to shake uncontrollably and lower my head in dismay, as tears stream down my cheeks. My life will never be the same. Suddenly, an unfamiliar darkness shrouds me, as a sinister laugh escapes my lips.

"You will bow down before me," a strange voice comes from my lips. I look over at the winx with wide eyes, trying to process what's happening. "Aqua, you're stronger than this! You can fight this!" Roxy declares, with a look of determination in her eyes.

I squeeze my eyes shut. She overestimates me, I think to myself. "Winx... Please get out of here..." I choke out, as they stare at me in pure horror. "Please hurry... I don't think I'll be able to control it much later...!" The Winx exchange looks with each other, before swimming away. I sit on the throne and bury my face into my palms, as tears stream down my cheeks.

"Aqua!" A familiar voice calls, as I glance in that direction. Nissa swims towards me, with a warm look on her face. She engulfs me in a hug, before backing away and looking at my new appearance. "Nissa, it's good to say you again..." I say softly.

"Aqua, please tell me what happened," she begs, before sitting on my shoulder. I run a hand through my hair, as an emptiness washes over me. "Fate wanted me to become the empress of the infinite ocean, and there was nothing I could do to change that," I murmur bitterly.

"Aqua..." She hums, before engulfing me in a hug. "I'm so sorry that your choice was taken away from you. I promise that I won't leave your side." I shoot her a thankful smile, before wrapping my arms around her.

Suddenly, the world around us begins to shake. I push myself up, as a serious expression appears on my face. What the hell is going on!? "Magic orb, show me the winx," I order, as it lights up and shows them facing off against some robots on Zenith.

Nissa frowns. "What happened?"

I purse my lips, before turning off my orb. "Tritannus must have attacked the pillar of control," I say in a surprisingly calm tone. "In that case, using the power of the emperor's throne, I shall grant the selkies new powers along with the abilities restore any harm to the three pillars."

Seconds later, Nissa cheers in excitement and starts to swim around. "Aqua, I feel so strong!" She declares, as I shoot her a warm smile. "I feel like I could do anything!" I chuckle to myself, before summoning my orb and watching the Winx successfully save Zenith. I knew they had it in them, I think to myself. If anything, I wish I could join them once again.