Chapter 2: Together

6th Year. 3 years ago. Hogwarts.

Draco Malfoy was standing with his back to the door, his hands clutching either side of the sink, his white-blond head bowed.

"No one can help me," said Malfoy to himself. His whole body was shaking. " I can't do it ... I can't ... it won't work ... and unless I do it soon ... he says he'll kill me ..."

Harry was walking into the bathroom, following him when he bolted from the great hall.

Slowly, he advanced towards him, step by step and realised, with a shock so huge it seemed to root him to the spot, that Malfoy was crying – actually crying – tears streaming down his pale face into the grimy basin. Malfoy gasped and gulped and then, with a great shudder, looked up into the cracked mirror and saw Harry staring at him over his shoulder.

"I know what you did, Malfoy," Harry said to him, but there was no venom in his voice. "You hexed her, didn't you?"

Malfoy wheeled round, drawing his wand. Instinctively, Harry pulled out his own.

They stood there staring silently at each other for what seemed like centuries. Harry was shaking, not with fear, but with worry and concern. If it was Malfoy, out of everyone, who was crying, it was not a good sign, something was definitely wrong.

"Malfoy." He said softly. "Please put the wand down."

"Why should I, Potter?" He screamed back, voice cracking from the tears. "So you could tell me how pathetic I am? So you can tell me I'm a murderer?"

"No..." Harry said with a sigh. "So I can talk to you."

"Talk?" Malfoy let out a quiet laugh. "Why would you want to talk to me?"

Harry just shook his head and dropped his wand to the floor. Malfoy's gaze dropped to the wand and back at Harry. He shook his head and shut his eyes firmly, more tears fell as he let out a pained screamed and threw his own wand to the floor. Malfoy's face crumpled and he dropped to his knees, shuddering with sobs, and held his face in his hands.

He heard footsteps come closer towards him but he didn't look up. And suddenly felt a warm, reassuring hand on his shoulder. Before he could even stop and think about what was going on, he was pulled in for a hug. From Harry Potter himself.

In Harry's arms, it did not matter that Draco was a Slytherin or that Harry was a Gryffindor. Draco's name meant nothing, nor did Harry's. Because at that very moment, they weren't Malfoy and Potter... they were Draco and Harry.

Draco opened his eyes but didn't dare to look up, he instead buried his head deep in Harry's chest. He had been hugged numerous times in his life but no hug felt like this before. It was so gentle, so loving, so warm, so... willing.

"Its okay now. I'm here." Harry soothed him. "I'm not going anywhere."

Just by hearing those words, Draco couldn't hold back any longer, throwing his arms around the Gryffindor's waist in a breath-taking embrace. Draco couldn't hold back the sob that broke through him.

Harry felt Draco relax fully into the hug and rubbed circles at his back. The look Draco had given him when he was talking to Katie Bell earlier was one of fear, one of something Harry had never seen in his rival's eyes before.

Minutes passed and they stayed there in a warm embrace, Draco's sobs were nothing but little hiccups now. Sighing, Harry, unconsciously started stroking Draco's hair in a reassuring manner and he heard him spoke for the first time in minutes since the hug.

"I'm sorry." He sobbed into Harry's chest, "I didn't mean hurt anyone."

Harry just sighed and asked Draco something he would never have thought he would hear from the Chosen one. Simple three words he never thought he would hear.