Chapter 44: Ron and Hermione

Unknown Location. 2 years ago. Late December 1997.

The monstrous versions of himself and Hermione were gone, and so was the figure that was fighting them, Ron's wand dropped to the floor as Harry went over and picked it up with a heavy sigh, still heavily panting from the battle. Ron was standing there with the sword held slackly in his hand, looking down at the shattered remains of the locket on the flat rock. Hermione stood not far away, her body collapsed to the ground out of exhaustion as her wand dropped to the floor. Harry went over to pick hers up as well before helping her get up. He gave her hug, he heard her gasp at the unexpected action, but it was not unwelcome.

They heard footsteps approaching from behind as Harry pulled away from the hug and they both turned to see Ron, sheepishly smiling at Hermione, looking directly into her eyes.

"Hey."

Hermione charged to stand in front of him. There was an angry glint in her eyes. Ron thought she was about to embrace him when she stopped right in front of him, her lips slightly parted, her eyes wide.

"You–"

She tore the rucksack off Ron's shoulder forcefully.

"Complete–"

She pushed him hard.

"ARSE–Ronald Weasley!"

She grabbed a handful of leaves from the ground and threw it at him.

"You crawl back here after WEEKS–"

She swung the rucksack at him like a sword, hitting him on the arm.

"–And you say ' hey '?"

She punctuated every word with a blow: She was pointing at Ron in dire accusation: it was like a malediction and Harry could not blame Ron for retreating several steps.
He backed away, shielding his head as Hermione advanced. She turned back to face Harry, advancing on him like a predator. Harry backed away fearfully.

"Where's my wand, Harry?" She was pissed. "Where's my wand?"

"I don't know." Harry stammered.

"Harry Potter YOU GIVE ME MY WAND!" she screamed. Never before had he seen her lose control like this; she looked quite demented.

"I don't have it!" Harry said timidly, his hands in front of him.

"Why's he got your wand?" Ron said from beside them.

"Never mind why he's got my wand." She turned back to glare at him before her gaze travelled to the sword laying on the ground beside them. "And how is it that you just so happen to have The Sword of Gryffindor ?!" 

"It's... it's a long story." Harry interjected, scratching his head.

"Don't think this changes anything ," Hermione said coldly and began to walk back to the tent.

"Oh, of course, it doesn't!" Ron shouted, and Harry was glad that Ron was fighting back. "We only just destroyed a bloody Horcrux, why would that change anything?!"

"Because I spent the last WEEKS worrying and looking for you! I already knew where Harry and Malfoy were cause I cast a locator charm on them," she screamed. "But YOU! I had looked everywhere for you for so long that I thought I had to come back and tell Malfoy and Harry you were DEAD! "

Her voice was now so shrill only bats would be able to hear it soon, but she had reached a level of indignation that rendered her temporarily speechless, and Ron seized his opportunity.

"Look," Ron said with a sigh. "I wanted to come back the minute I'd left! I just didn't know how to find you."

"Oh, that's rich coming from you,"  yelled Hermione, with awful sarcasm. "Rack your brains, Ron, that should only take a couple of seconds –'