Chapter 14: Friends and Enemies

3 years ago. 6th Year. Hogwarts.

"Okay, I take it back. It's horrible." Ron opened the door to the room of requirement only to see Draco Malfoy, out of all the people in Hogwarts, lying down on a bed in his green silk pyjamas. Hermione and Ron both looked at the Slytherin as he put away the book he was reading and stood from the bed onto the cold floor.

"Weasley. Granger." He greeted with a nod as he faced them. "Are you going to stand there all day, or are we going to talk? Potter sent you here, didn't he?"

Hermione and Ron both looked at each other before Hermione looked back at Draco and blinked, spluttering out a reply.

"U-Uh... Yes, yes he did." She said hastily. "He's looking for Slughorn at the moment."

Draco nodded in reply and sighed. "Right then, I suppose I should get straight to it."

Hermione and Ron raised an eyebrow.

Draco sighed. "I want to apologise... for..." Draco chuckled with a shake of his head. "Well... for everything... and for how I treated you for the past five years."

Hermione's jaw dropped to the floor, but Ron wore a disbelieving scowl, suggesting that Draco's work was far from done.

"Well, that's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard." Ron scowled at him.

Draco rolled his eyes at him. "I'm pretty sure that's not true."

Ron's eyes widened as he stepped closer. "What's that supposed to mean?!" But Hermione interfered before they could start a fight.

"Both of you. Stop. This is ridiculous."

"Tell that to the git." Ron didn't take his eyes off Draco.

Hermione sighed before turning to look at Draco. She then turned back to look at Ron who was eyeing her suspiciously. Hermione looked once more into Draco's eyes intensely.

"Anything else you would like to say?" She said to him. "Anything?"

"Yes..." Draco gulped and looked away. "I'm so sorry I ever used that word on you, Granger. And I'm sorry for everything I've said about you and your family, Weasley."

Hermione's face softened as she gave out a bright smile and reached forward to grasp Draco's shoulder, giving it a pat.

She smiled at him. "That's all I needed to hear... I forgive you."

"What the- Hermione are you daft?!" Ron practically screamed at her.

"Ronald, like I said before." She scoffed and turned to him. "It's pointless to hold grudges. Forgive and forget."

"Why are you telling me that?!" Ron pointed at Draco. "Tell that to him! He's the one who held a grudge against Harry for five years!"

Draco blushed embarrassingly and turned away from them. But still listened in to their conversation.

"Stop being so childish, Ron! Draco is Harry's friend now," she whisper-yelled at him. "I'm not asking you to become friends with him but at least give him a chance."

"No!" Ron turned to Draco, his face still held a sneer. "I know Harry told me to give you a chance... but I could never forgive you for what you've done to us over the past five years."

Hermione stepped forward to protest but Ron gave her a shocking glare and she backed away.

"See, I don't care if everyone thinks you're worth forgiving now." He sneered. "Because I know the truth of who you truly are, Malfoy."