Chapter 47: True Allegiances

2 years ago. Late March 1998. Order Safehouse. Unknown Location.

The sea was rushing against rock somewhere nearby as Harry and Draco apparated back with Dobby; Harry listened to it while observing the others. Dobby and Luna carried the injured Griphook into the house, Fleur hurrying with them; now Bill was eyeing Ravenna dangerously as she followed them into the house as well, he could see Ron carrying Hermione close to his chest in the distance as well. He looked beside him to see Draco with unshed tears on the rim of his eyes. He frowned and tugged him closer, leaning his head on his shoulder.

"It's okay, love." Harry's voice was gentle. "You'll see her again, I promise."

He felt Draco nod. They both knew who they were talking about. It is hard for Draco, Harry can't help but feel his sadness, the feeling of getting separated from someone you love only after you have been reunited. It has happened to them more than a few times. And this time, was Draco and Narcissa.

"What if..." Draco choked back the tears. "What if something bad happens?"

"Draco, please stop saying that." Harry let out a sigh and closed his eyes. "Nothing bad will happen to you."

Somehow, they both knew that was a lie, but didn't comment on it any further. He and Draco slowly made their way back towards the house once they realised they were the only ones out there now that everyone has gone in.

Not many words were spoken between them, but the gentle squeeze of hands and the slight exhale of breath already told them all they needed to know. They were both okay now. The door to the safe house opened as Draco and Harry stepped inside. The rest of them were all sitting in the living room when he entered the little hall, their attention focused upon Bill, who was talking. Draco gave him a soft kiss on the cheek and stroked his thumb across him with a smile before he walked over to the kitchen and spoke to Dobby, probably asking for some food. The room was light-coloured, pretty, with a small fire of driftwood burning brightly in the fireplace. Harry did not want to drop mud upon the carpet, so he stood in the doorway, listening. A sound from behind him caused him to turn around to see Ron just emerging from one of the rooms.

"Hey." He smiled at him. "How's Hermione?"

"Better," said Ron. "Fleur's looking after her."

"That's good to hear." Harry nodded back at him before turning to Bill again.

Bill must have noticed the movement as he looked around and saw Harry standing there.

"I've been getting them all out of The Burrow, Ginny and the others," he explained. "Moved them to Muriel's. The Death Eaters know Ron's with you now, they're bound to target the family – don't apologise," he added, at the sight of Harry's expression. "It was always a matter of time, Dad's been saying so for months. We're the biggest blood traitor family there is."

"How are they protected?" asked Harry.

"Fidelius Charm. Dad's Secret Keeper. And we've done it on this cottage too; I'm Secret Keeper here. None of us can go to work, but that's hardly the most important thing now. Once Ollivander and Griphook are well enough, we'll move them to Muriel's too. There isn't much room here, but she's got plenty. Griphook's legs are on the mend, Fleur's given him Skele-Gro: we could probably move them in an hour or –"

"No," Harry said, and Bill looked startled. "I need both of them here. I need to talk to them. It's important."

He heard the authority in his own voice, the conviction. All of their faces were turned towards him, looking puzzled.

"I'm going to take a shower," Harry called out to Draco, looking down at his hands before and lifting his arm to smell his armpit. "Then I'll need to see them, straight away."