Chapter 30: Green and Silver

2 years ago. Summer before 7th Year. Bill and Fleur's wedding. The Burrow.

Remus was sitting down on one of the tables of the tent, calmly sipping a glass of wine and watching Molly Weasley dance and jump around with Arthur. He smiled at them as he sipped another. Suddenly, Draco was standing in front of the table and Remus curiously looked up at him.

"Draco, how can I help?" He tried talking calmly but knew something was up.

"I can't do this anymore," Draco said, shaking his head. "You have to tell him the truth."

Remus' eyes widened in fear. "Draco, listen, I know-"

"No! I can't keep lying to him about this and neither should you."  Draco said, standing his ground. "I won't tell him but you have to eventually, no matter what happens."

Remus looked away in shame as Draco sighed in disappointment, giving up. He turned away from Remus and slowly walked away.

Remus then secretly drew his wand and pointed it at Draco when he turned around. His wand hand was shaking but he was convinced that if Draco tells Harry, everything will be ruined, and he couldn't let that happen.

"Oblivi-"

"What are you doing?" A voice interrupted him from beside him as he hurridly pocked his wand. Slowly, he looked up to see Tonks, looking back at him and then at Draco, realisation finally sinking in. Her eyes widened. She quickly looked around before casting a silencing charm between the two of them.

"Were you going to do it?" She said to him.

"Listen, Dora, I-"

"ANSWER ME DAMMIT! WERE YOU GOING TO DO IT?!"

Remus hesitated and sighed.

"Yes."

She slapped him. Hard.

"I'm sorry," Remus said as he held his hand against his face. "I had to do it."

"Do what? Wipe his memory so that he and Harry will never find out the truth?!"

Remus didn't say anything.

"I can't do this. You're just going to stand here while Harry lives the rest of his life not knowing the truth of what happened with him and his parents?!" She shouted at him. "And what about Draco? Huh? He's finally becoming a friend. You went to his help with Harry, with your secret. He's kept it. And now you're going to repay him by wiping his memory?!"

"Well, maybe Harry doesn't have to kno-"

"-NO REMUS!" Tonks gaped at him and shook her head. "We both know Harry deserves to know the truth of what happened. What made him the chosen one."

She moved closer and looked right into Remus' eyes.

"You have to tell Harry." Remus gulped and looked away, but Tonks' hand kept him firmly in place. "Because heroes do what's right . Not what's easy ."

...

Draco held Harry's hand firmly and stroked the back of his hand with his thumb, soothing him. Harry had remained silent since Remus told him what happened. Silent and visible tears were falling from Harry's eyes as Remus watched him, heart pang with guilt and regret. The silencing charm placed around the three of them blocked out any noise and so it was uncomfortably silent as if no one knew what to say first.

Slowly, Harry lifted his gaze to meet Remus. Anger, sorrow and disappointment were clear in his eyes.

"This whole time I was right... You were lying to me." Another silent tear fell. "I wanted to believe you... I wanted to believe in you. You are the only one left who truly knew my parents and you lied to me about all of it."