Chapter 31: Muggle London

2 years ago. Summer before 7th Year. Muggle London. After Bill and Fleur's Wedding.

"Where are we?" said Ron's voice.

Harry opened his eyes. For a moment he thought they had not left the wedding after all; They still seemed to be surrounded by people.

"Shaftesbury Avenue, I used to come to the Theatre here with Mum and Dad." panted Hermione. "Don't know why I thought of it, it just popped into my head."

Harry suddenly remembered. He turned to Hermione.

"Draco. We have to go back and get Draco."

"Harry I-" She looked around wearily, before sighing. "We'll talk about this later, okay, just follow me."

"No. We are not going anywhere till we talk about this! I have to go back!"

"JUST DO AS I SAY, HARRY!" Hermione was panting from panic as Harry stared wide-eyed at her, having never seen her lose her composure like this before. He had no choice but did as she asked. "This way."

They half walked, half ran up the wide dark street thronged with late-night revellers and lined with closed shops, stars twinkling above them. Looking around they made as Hermione led them down a side street, then into the shelter of a shadowy alleyway.

"We need to change," said Hermione, and to Harry and Ron's utter astonishment, she pulled out a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, some maroon socks, and a pair of muggle trainers, all from her tiny little bag, which looked like they couldn't hold a single piece of clothing.

"How the ruddy-"

"Undetectable Extension Charm," said Hermione.

"You're amazing, you are." Ron gazed at her in astonishment. Hermione blushed.

"Always the tone of surprise." She gave the fragile-looking bag a little shake and it echoed like a cargo hold as a number of heavy objects rolled around inside it. "Ah, that'll be the books."

Once she got all the clothes out, she gave a little flick of her wand and instantly, they have changed from there wedding dress robes into simple muggle T-shirts and hoodies. Ron looked down at his clothes and back up at Hermione with amazement while Harry just looked worried and impatient.

"So can we talk now?" Harry said impatiently, wanting nothing more than to get back to the Burrow and make sure Draco was safe.

"Not here." Hermione looked around and poked her head out the alleyway, pointing across the street. "There."

It was a small and shabby all-night cafe. A light layer of grease lay on all the Formica-topped tables, but it was at least empty.

Once they entered, Harry slipped into a booth first and Ron sat opposite him next to Hermione, who had her back to the entrance and did not like it: She glanced over her shoulder so frequently she appeared to have a twitch. Harry did not like being stationary; walking had given the illusion that they had a goal.

"We can't stay here doing nothing." Harry started the conversation, unconsciously biting his fingernail. "What about all the people at the wedding? What about Draco? We have to go back."

"They're after you, mate." Ron put a reassuring hand on his arm. "You'd put everyone in danger by going back."

"But they're after Draco as well," Harry said, biting his lip in worry.

"Ron's right, Harry." She said to him softly. "You can't go back there, it's too dangerous."

"But I have to!" Harry said again, a pleading in his voice. "I was just reunited with him and now he's taken away from me again. I can't just leave him there!"