VIII

VIII
The Manticores
~~~

"Father?" She put down her falls and asked.

"What is it, my sweet little girl?" He spoke absentmindedly while reading his newspaper.

"Do you not like Gar?" She asked innocently.

"Why would you think that sweetheart?"

"You never speak to him when he comes over," she starts. "And you are very rude this parents."

"Rae, you shouldn't be asking these things. It's none of your concern anyway."

"But Father he is my friend! It is my concern! If you do not like him then I want to know why!"

"For the last time Rae, it is none of your business."

"Father!" He ignored her with a grumble. Fed up, she stood up and reached out towards his newspaper. But her reach was stopped by her father's swift hand.

"I do not like to repeat my self, child. Now if you continue to ask questions I will break both of your wrists." His voice was already deep, grizzly, and grim naturally. But when he got mad, that increased tenfold and became terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. Just his voice alone would reverberate in your head a million times, each time plunging you more into fear than the last.

"Father, that hurts! Let me go!" The nine-year-old spoke with sheer horror in her voice. The more she struggled however, the tighter his grip became.

"Will you stop being so curious?"

"Yes!"

"You better not be lying to me girl."

"I-I'm not! I promise!" He roughly threw her hand back at her face and continued to read his paper. She took her dolls and went up to her room go cry her eyes out.

"Gah!!"

"Raven? You good?" She looked up at the figure standing over her. To her surprise, it was Gar, looking extremely surprised to boot. She blinked a few times.

A memory of Father... I completely forgot about that. I guess the little incident with Adam earlier at lunch triggered it.

"Gar? Why are you here? You're not in my Writing and Poetry class." She asked confused.

"Kori told me that this was your class. I was hoping you'd come with me to meet the WCGL coach here. Mrs. Tale said you hadn't left yet, but I didn't expect you to be asleep."

Me either.

"Oh. Yeah...I had a rough night. Sure, I'll go with you. Do you have a car though? 'Cause I don't."

"Well I do, but Rita and Steve drove me to school today so they could meet the principal. So they took the car. I was gonna just walk home."

"Ah dammit. Whatever, it's fine. I've got nothing to do anyways."

"Sorry Rave."