XXX

XXX
Undefendably Defensive
~~~

Gar
Incoming call - 2:34 pm

Gar
Incoming call - 3:10 pm

Gar
Incoming call - 5:43 pm

Gar
Incoming call - 6:59 pm

Gar
Incoming call - 7:27 pm

"He's called me 5 times in 5 hours."

"And now he hasn't called you since then?"

"No. It's been like 3 hours. Do you think something is wrong, mom?"

"Maybe he's feeling guilty? I hope he is..."

"But tomorrow's his birthday..."

"I know, Raven."

Raven sits and cradles her phone in her right hand. She's making circles with her thumb on the screen.

"Don't worry about him, Raven. He says he's got himself under control. Tomorrow shouldn't be a problem." I hope. "I'm going to go to bed. Try to do the same and get some sleep ok?" Arella kisses her daughter softly on the forehead and closes the bedroom door behind her. Leaving Raven alone with her thoughts. An arguably dangerous choice.

Her phone rings and she jumps out of her skin. It broke more than just the deafening silence in the house.

"Kori?" She falters, then taps on the little green button. "Why're you calling so late?"

"Hello to you too Raven." She replies flatly.

"Sorry, Kor, I'm a little–"

"Stressed? I can hear it in your voice."

"It's that obvious?"

"Yes, and I believe that I can guess why."

"Yeah whoop-dee-doo you caught me, I'm worried about, Gar. I did tell you what I said to him right?"

"You did. You didn't mean it did you?"

"Please stop figuring me out. It's making me anxious."

"Sorry..."

She sighs, "It's fine... I'm just all over the place right now."

"It is understandable. You and Gar are very close after all. It will not be easy when trying to get him out of your head. If that is what you even want that is."

"You're right...but I can't just act like what he did was OK. What he said was uncalled-for. I'm not letting him get away with that."

"Good! I do not like what he did either!"

"But?" She knows it's coming.

"But remember: he is not mentally well."

"I know..." she swallows. "I know."