XXXIV

XXXIV
What She Did
~~~

"Excuse me?" A little kid, probably not much older than 6 tugs at Raven's t-shirt. "Can you help me find my mommy?" His seemingly giant green eyes look as if he just finished crying.

Gar looks at Raven, and they both sigh. Their sense of duty is too strong. She straightens herself, then kneels down to the boy's level.

"Sure. What's your name?"

"Michael..." he sniffles.

"Ok, Michael, where did you last see your mommy?"

"W-when we got here..." he points towards the wall at the very edge of the field. "We came in from back there..."

"Don't worry little dude, we'll find her." Gar assures him. He whipes his nose with his sleeve and then nods. Raven takes his hand and leads him to where he pointed while Gar follows.

He eyes her hand the whole time, wanting to hold it just as Michael is.

"Gar," She calls. "Please don't fall behind." He jogs up to be even with them.

"I think I've seen this kid before." She whispers to him.

"Where?"

"I don't know, but I'm getting a bad feeling about him..."

"Raven he's just a kid."

"Look, I don't like kids. All of them make me uncomfortable, except for my cousins."

All of a sudden, Michael releases Raven's hand and runs ahead not saying a word.

"What the–? Michael wait!" Gar runs after him. The kid ducks behind a wall and Raven and Gar follow.

But he's not there.

"Where did he go?" Raven looks around. "Michael??"

"He was just here." Gar looks down the street, then at the sidewalk behind them. "There!"

Michael hears them, but keeps running.

"What is he doing?"

"It doesn't matter. We should follow him. It's dark and he could get lost." Gar's parental instincts (that he never knew he had) kick in.

"He seems to know where he's going though."

Michael stops. He turns around and looks at them. Staring at them.

"I found her!" He shouts.

"Where? The was no woman anywhere near us." Raven questions.

"Maybe he saw her car, or maybe out of the corner of his eye? Either way we should follow him."

"Why are you in charge all of a sudden?"

"Who said I was in charge?"

"You seem to think so." She crosses her arms.