IX

IX
Your Mother and Mine
~~~

"What do you think she'll think about me?"

"Knowing her she'll say you haven't changed at all."

Gar had driven everyone home from school that day since for some reason he was the only one that took their car to school and/or even had one in the first place. His last stop was Raven since he only lived down the street from her. They figured he could meet her mom since it's not like he had to walk home. Nor was it far.

"She told Rita and Steve about you."

"What did she say?" Raven asks suspiciously.

"Nothing bad. Just that you we're really different from how I would've remembered you."

"Well she wasn't wrong." She mumbles. Thanks car comes to a calm stop in front of her house. "I guess that applies to your house too huh? It's exactly the same as I remember it."

"No it's not," she says getting out of the car. "My father– dad isn't here so it's ten times better."

"Very true." Raven gazes longingly at his car again like she did in the parking lot of the school.

"Damn Gar, I'm still amazed at this car..." Rita had insisted he get his own car, so they bought him the best one they figured would suit him.

"Thanks, I would've been fine with a regular car

"Thanks, I would've been fine with a regular car. I don't know why they gave me a luxury car of all things." Raven facepalmed. "What??"

"Gar, I know you're humble, but when you get things like this, at least act like you think you deserve it." He looks at her confused.

"Why??"

"Because at this rate it looks like Rita and Steve are going to use up all that lottery money faster than you eat a full pie of pizza."

"Raven! Is that him?" Arella calls from the porch.

"Yeah Mom!" She says turning around. "C'mon, she made apple pie."

"APPLE PIE?!?!" Gar ran faster in that moment than she'd ever seen him run. She followed behind him much slower and by the time she got in he was already sitting at the dining room table.

"I'm guessing he still likes apple pie?" Arella asks.

"Ya think?" Arella handed him his slice of pie and he dug into it like a wild animal. If she hadn't given him a fork he probably would've just ate it straight off the plate.

"So are two finally dating yet?" Her mom says carelessly. Just like lunch yesterday, Gar almost chokes on his food and Raven has that same stupefied and shocked face.