XXVI

XXVI
Blaze
~~~

Tiny, articulate beeps begin to fill his ears. Going at an extremely slow, consistent pace. The sound is methodical and mesmerizing, but there was an air of foreboding to it as well. An air that was all but comfortable.

Quiet talking can be heard on the right. Its not the trying-to-hide-a-conversation quiet, it is much more melancholic than that. More like a trying-not-to-disturb-someone kind of quiet. Respectful, yet still saddening.

Those are the only sounds though. Everything else is quiet aside from some shuffling farther away.

Another sound seeps into the fray: the long legato notes of a breathing machine. The loud inhales, and the calmer exhales. All seemingly strung together. And still they were separate.

The voices are a bit louder now. Listening to them though, the voices are no clearer than they were before. He picks that up in an instant.

He's...a he? Yes. He is a boy. That he was sure of now. Who is he though? That he can't quite tell. It's all a blur to him. His mind won't straighten out. It's all tangled. Where is he from? Who is his family? He can't remember.

And now another sense kicks into gear. His touch. He feels the soft bed under him, and the pillow proping up his head. He felt things stuck to him like stickers and a needle in his left arm that was extremely uncomfortable for him.

He can't move. Stuck in place. No squirming or wriggling for him. His body was still. Calm. Peaceful.

...Frozen.

Someone's...touching him? His right hand is warm. The grip isn't strong. Whoever it is simply has their hand gingerly placed on his. The touch was strangely comforting though. What is this feeling to him? It's not anything he can remember. Granted, he can't remember much at the moment. Things are slowly flowing to him in pieces. That is, if it's not already done.

Th small talk between people continues, and the voices become vaguely familiar m

And then all at once:

Garfield Logan. His name immediately comes to him, triggered by the sudden punch of pain from his head and his chest. Not being able to bear it at all, he shoots up from his laying position in the bed. He squeezes the hand laid in his and the heart monitor doubles in speed.

His breathing is erratic after he takes that deep inhale and starts coughing. It sounds like he's going to hack up a lung. Not pretty. Not fun.

But he makes sure the hand in his doesn't leave, because he's also remembered who this gentle touch belonged to. His beautiful girlfriend Raven. He recognizes the voices too as they say his name: Kori and Dick. And another? A woman? Arella. He remembers now.

He looks over to his right and there are the three of them, one, Raven, sleeping calmly, the other three, Kori and Dick and Arella, in complete worry.

Arella rushes over and makes him lay back down.

"Easy now, calm down." The heart monitor dropped again and his breathing slowly goes down too.

He can't speak. Why can't he speak? What's wrong with him? It's like his voice was taken from him. No word will form no matter how hard he tries.