Chapter 7

Edward starts the car. He pulls out and drives out.

"What song?" He asks me. I try to make up my mind as fast as I can.

"I like One Direction." I say it in a tone and make a face saying: please don't judge me.

"I have an idea." He said. He turned the knobs on the radio, and put on the bluetooth. He hands me his phone.

"Pick a song on my Spotify. I really don't care what you put on." Ok, we're getting somewhere. I search up One Direction in the search box. I turned on the song Perfect. I know it's kinda an old song, but I thought it was perfect *wink wink*. At first, I just sat and listened to it, but it got to the chorus and I started lip syncing and dancing. I was jumping in the seat, looking at Edward once in awhile. He was smiling, and he was also looking at me once in awhile.

When the song got to the chorus the second time, both of us were lip syncing. I didn't know Edward listened to this.

We got to his house, and I couldn't stop laughing. I was only laughing because I was having too much fun. I get a little carried away with music. Nevermind, I get REALLY carried away.

I calmed down right before we walked in the house. I hope his mom isn't right there or anything. That'll be awkward. We walked in and his mom was washing the dishes.

"Hey! How was school?" She asks Edward. She doesn't seem to realize I'm there.

"It was great Mom." He looks back at me, and I'm still hiding behind a wall.

"This is Ashlyn. She's aiming to the basketball game." He introduces me. This is going to go bad. I walk out of the shadows and shyly wave.

"Hello dear." She says. She walks over to me and gives me a hug. She's the most friendly mom I've ever met. She backs off and puts her hands on my shoulders. She smiles, and I see a bit of Edward in her.

"Welcome to the Mace house." She says. I look at Edward, and he lips the words: I'm sorry if you feel awkward. He smiles after. His smile makes me feel so much better. She releases her hands and continues on the dishes. I follow Edward to go outside. We sit by the front door and do homework, because there's nothing else to do.

I'm working on my math and stumble across a math problem that we all learned in seventh grade. I already forgot it. I am in 10th grade. And we did review it once in eighth grade. I totally forgot to find the slope of a line graph.

"Hey Edward," I ask for help, "do you remember how to find the slope line thingy?" I try to make it cool. I point to the problem on my paper. He looks down as he attempts to figure it out.

"I think you do the coordinate subtraction thing with y/x." Wow. He's such a genius. Oh my bah-gee-bers! I'm so impressed!

Since this is text that you're reading from, you can't see the sarcasm. Therefore, I knew it the whole time. It's just that I wanted his attention.

"Oh!" I say, "Now I remember! Thanks Edward!" I look at him and smile and he smile back. He's so cute!

"No problem." We continue our homework until about 4:30. We went to Edwards garage and I practiced for the game with him.

He grabs his basketball, and takes a good 3-pointer. Nothing but net. My jaw drops at the impressive shot.

"Impressive!" I look at him, as he has a smirk on his face. He grabs the ball and tosses it to me. I nearly drop it. This is gonna be embarrassing.

"You try." He says.

"O-o-ok." I say in fear. It's just a basketball, right? Nothing's gonna happen. I put my two hands on the ball and face towards the hoop. I aim to make it bounce off the little box. I throw the ball. Nothing but air. Am I right?

Edward covers his face with his hands showing disappointment. Oh god. That was so embarrassing.

"Let me show you." He grabs the ball and walks towards me. He hands me the ball and stands behind me.

"You're gonna want your hands on the ball like this." He picks up the ball from my hands, and he's still behind me. He then grabs one of my hands and places it on the center if the ball. He grabs my other hand and places it nearly to the side of the ball.

"The key is to aim towards the box, at least for beginners."

"That's what I tried before."

"You probably just didn't release it right." He laughs. He steps beside me and shows me how to shoot the ball.

"You're gonna want to jump, and when you release the ball, move your hand like this." He curls his hand like a candy cane.

"I call it the goose." I laugh.

"Let's see you try." I wasn't ready. Edward isn't a very good teacher, but I love to spend time with him. I shoot the ball and I get it in! Maybe he is a good teacher. Or it's just luck.

"Wow!" He says, "I'm impressed!"

"Could you show me more of your tricks?" I ask.

He smiles, "Yeah sure." I sit in the grass behind the hoop. Edward has the ball, and does several cross-overs. Then he goes up for a layup. And he scores! He is such a professional.

"I have one more." He goes up to the hoop, lifts up the ball with both hands, and walks ten feet away. He lays the ball in one hand and throws it behind him. And he gets it in!

"How do you do that?" I'm so amazed.

"Practice." Well duh. But how would practice take you to that? So impressive. We then realize that it's 6:00.

"We gotta go eat!" He says. We head inside.