She's the Puppet Master

• Charlotte, North Carolina 1800 •

Shorty after our time in New York City, Katherine left the United States. She never gave me an answer as to why, besides that Paris was calling her name. In respond, I decided to leave Richmond. I wanted be alone, because the last time I had been alone was when I had the fever. It was time for me to live an independent life especially for the fact I was now reaching the age of twenty-three, a time where most women would already be wedded and having children.

When I had left Richmond, I didn't know where to go. I knew I couldn't return to Pennsylvania or New York because the memories were just to painful. However, I also didn't not want to be far from Pearl or Annabelle. So, I found myself heading to Charlotte, North Carolina.

~

Obtaining a home, even though it was through the help of compulsion, had to be one of the most satisfying things I've done in my short life. It proved to myself and others that I was independent. I could move on from my dark past, my nightmare. Although, the house was a small one bedroom and one bath, it gave myself a lot of pride.

Owning the house not only increased my confidence within myself, I slowly began to realize that I didn't need Katherine. I no longer needed her mentoring, I could be on my own. She already taught me the basics of vampire life, what else could she do for me?

When the sun had set and nightfall had fallen every night, I left my tiny home and went to my safe haven I had discovered my first night I arrived in Charlotte. It was less than a mile away from my new home and it was the only time I felt as if my life had not been destroyed. My safe haven was a waterfall that was in the middle of the woods behind my home.

Living in the heart of Pennsylvania, there was nothing for me go to, no where were I felt like I belonged. However, when I come to the waterfall, I felt as if it took away some of the pain. Washed it out of me, if you will.

The view was not much, but it was enough to satisfy me. The cliff the water fell from was only a little over fifty feet, but the sound it made when it crashed at the bottom was sweet. There were a few flowers that surrounded the area, but they weren't important in my eyes.

The waterfall was my sanctuary. My secret place.

But knowing my luck, my sanctuary would be destroyed by someone. The one to destroy it, you ask?

The one and only.

Katherine Pierce.

•Mystic Falls, Present Day•

It took everything in my power to not go to Mrs. Flowers and confront Katherine. I told myself I wasn't going back to her, I refuse to go back to her. She wasn't going to be in control of my life, instead, I confronted Mason while at the Lockwood Charity Event. Basically an event to help set up for the Masquerade Ball that was happening soon.

After Mason's encounter with Stefan, I quickly followed beside him. Mason looked over at me and rolled his eyes, "What do you want now?" He asked annoyed.

I smiled, "Number one, I told you so." I paused and grabbed his arm to stop him. "And two, what did she promise you? For giving her the moonstone?"

Mason stared at me, wondering if he really should tell me. "We'll live happily ever after." He said before walking away.

I chuckled, and quickly caught up to him. "Funny you say that, a couple of months ago I was promised that same thing, but only if I was a good little girl and listen to her. And guess what?" I paused, to see Mason's reaction and I could see he was thinking. I mentally smirked, just as planned. "I did everything she ask. Everything. And look at me now, I got nothing. I was suppose to learn control, did that for two weeks and now that was over."