19

We danced to the music until it faded away. A palace guard picked up a microphone and cleared his throat.

"Testing, one, two, three." he says into the microphone. "Alright, ladies. I hope you are having a great time. Now, the king shall pick a hundred women based on their physical appearance and an intelligence test will be held tomorrow morning. The selected will stay and have their meals in the palace. Let the ceremony begin!"

The king strutted proudly across the ballroom, eyeing each girl up and down. "You, selected." he pointed at a beautiful girl. She was someone from our school, and also one of the richer girls.

He chose 99 girls already, and since I was hidden at a corner, he couldn't really see me. I do not want to be chosen.

Please, please, please.

"One last girl..." The guard announced. The girls not called muttered a few words of prayer as tears threatened to fall down their porcelain face.

"Where's Park Hae Won?" The king shouted. My eyes widened. Oh shit. I forgot he knew me since a few week ago. I stayed in the palace, and helped around. Ugh. Why was I dragged into this...?

I walked towards him and gave him a small curtsy, not like the other girls who literally splattered onto the ground.

This is tiring already. Although I haven't really done anything.

-

The ones who were not chosen could go home, and I saw many crying their lungs out. Like girl, I'd die to switch roles with you. The ones selected were led to another hall which looked very familiar to me. I usually came here to do nothing and stare out at the many windows that allowed the warm light to come in. Nobody ever came in, so I enjoyed the big space in peace.

Some people squealed in delight as they looked around the hall. There were some tainted windows that showed a picture, and another two crystal chandelier hanging on the ceiling. What's with the chandeliers?

I scrunched up my face slightly as I continued walking in the horrid heels. I don't know how girls can dance with these feet-killing monsters.

"You'll be split into groups of ten, please stand in a straight line, everybody facing us," The guard instructed.

After a while, there were 9 teams. I was not grouped yet.

"The rest, you'll be in one group," The guard explained. "Alright, there will be a maid to guide each group to their respective rooms. A room can fit about 20 people, so it'll be more than enough space for the ten of you,"

Slowly, each group walked gracefully along and I followed my group to the room.

-

"So Hye, I heard that they grouped you according to how much the prince liked your physical appearance. Apparently our group, group 10, is filled with the ones who the prince likes best!" A girl screamed into another girl's, So Hye, ear.

"Well, of course. All of us here are beautiful, but you know who the prince likes best," she muttered the last part quietly. "Me, obviously."

I scoffed almost too loudly and So Hye glared at me. Sigh, same ol' mean girl drama. I'm so sick of this. "Hi, my name is Song So Hye. I heard you're close to the prince?" So Hye came up to me unexpectedly nicely. The other girls started crowding around me. Looks of interest sparked in their eyes as they continued listening to the conversation.

"No, we were childhood friends, but he forgot about me already," I lied, I don't want people 'befriending' me just to get close to the prince and his 6 friends. Fakes everywhere.

"Oh," So Hye muttered darkly. The crowd dispersed as sighs could be heard.

I'm in a competition with a bunch of immature children fighting for a guy's heart. This is going to go on for a long time, and I'm certainly not ready.