29. survival of the fittest

My hands were shaking as I loaded the clip of a gun with some of Raven's freshly made bullets. A group of us were gathered in one of the tents loading as many guns possible before the Grounders attack in the morning.

"There's 5 to a clip. We need to get these onto the wall, let's go." Bellamy hurried us as Harper handed him a loaded gun.

Monty looked up from what he was doing, a puzzled look on his face, "Why only 5?"

Raven looked over at him, "We're running out of gun powder" she informed.

Harper let out a shaky breath, "We're so dead."

Jasper sent her a smirk as he pulled an empty clip from one of the guns, preparing to load it. "Don't worry, I got your back."

I looked up through my lashes to see Monty shake his head with a scoff.

"Got something to say?" Jasper sniped.

I kept working as I looked between the two boys, "Guys, stay focused, we don't have time for this."

Raven nodded, "Avery's right. We need as many rounds as we can get by sunlight."

The tent flap flew open as Finn rushed in, "It won't matter if there's no one left that can shoot."

I sent my brother a dirty look as he joined us at the work table. I was still incredibly upset with his lack of thinking in regards to so willingly making contact with Clarke. "You shouldn't be in here, you might get us sick." I grumbled, looking back down to the clip I was working on.

Finn looked over at me, surprised with my hostility towards him, "Octavia says I'm probably immune."

I rolled my eyes, "Of course you are."

Finn ignored me as he looked across the table at Raven,"What do we need to build a bomb."

Raven tilted her head to the side slightly,  "Depends on what you're trying to blow up."

Finn shifted his weight from one foot to the other, "How about a bridge."

My hands froze as I looked up with wide eyes, cluing into the plan that Finn was trying to carry out.

Bellamy didn't seem to understand what my brother was trying to get at, "What are you talking about?"

"Murphy says he crossed the bridge on the way back from the Grounder camp, and that's the same direction they brought Avery from when we had our meeting." Finn answered, his eyes darting around, looking at all of us.

Bellamy sighed, "Yeah, so what?"

"So the virus is fast. He's already getting better. Blowing the bridge won't stop the attack but the longer we can delay it, the more of us will be able to fight."

Bellamy shook his head, "Even if Murphy's telling the truth-"

"He is." I interjected.

Bellamy shot me a look before continuing, "That bridge has survived a nuclear war and 97 years of weather."

A small grin was spreading across Raven's face, "It won't survive me."

---

After a lot of explaining from Raven and technical terms that I didn't even bother trying to understand, a group of us stood in the crater hole from the crashed drop ship that had come down just days earlier.

Finn had made his best argument that I should stay back at camp but with so many of us sick, I was one of the only ones able and willing to tag along. I stood back from the piece of wreckage containing the rocket fuel that Raven would use to make a bomb. One of the guns we had just loaded positioned in my hands.

When Bellamy had handed me the weapon Finn had argued against it, but for once I won the argument. I still wasn't a great shot considering Bellamy had never given me those lessons I had asked for but I was decent enough to hit a target, at least a stationary one.

I squinted my eyes at the sun, my head starting to hurt from being awake for over 24 hours. There was no time to sleep with everything going on.

"Are you going to tell me why you're so pissed at me?" Finn asked, coming to my side.

I turned my head slightly to look at him, shooting him a glare as I did so. "Does it matter what I say? You never listen to me anyways."

Finn scrunched up his face, "What are you talking about?"

I let a sigh as I turned my body to face him, "Every single time I ask you or even tell you not to do something, you do it and end up risking your life. I'm getting really tired of watching you almost die!"

Finn threw his head back and let out a groan, "You know that's funny coming from the person who go herself kidnapped by Grounders." he whispered, trying to avoid the rest of the group listening in.

I bit my lip as I shook my head in disbelief, "Oh ya cause I totally planned that, I planned getting tortured Finn, thought it would liven up my life!"

"Yeah and I planned on getting stabbed right!?" Finn shot back, both of our voices now getting louder.

"You planned risking your life for Clarke! You didn't have to grab her but Prince Charming just had to save the day right?"

Finn looked taken aback at my statement, "I would have done that for you too and you know it."

The rest of the group was now watching us intently, wondering if they should cut in on the family feud currently happening.

I ignored their stares as I continued, "But I'm your sister Finn! Not some girl you barely know." I let out a shaky breath, suddenly finding it harder to breathe. "I have seen you make stupid decision after stupid decision since we got down here. Excuse me for not wanting to watch my brother die."

"God, Avery. Why are you being like this? It's not like you're the poster child for making good decisions either. Should we maybe talk about-"

Finn cut himself off abruptly, his eyes growing wide in shock," Avery, your eyes."

My hand flew up to my face only to come in contact with the warm substance that could only be blood. I felt myself begin to sway as it seemed the world around me was spinning.

The last thing I saw before everything went dark was the worried face of my twin brother rushing towards me.

-an-

so this chapter was kinda random but I wanted to go more in depth of the finn and avery sibling dynamic! it is obvious they both care about each other but have a strange way of showing it!

also side note- i have changed the actress playing avery like 5 times now lol. but i'm going to stick with lily. I had held off casting her because I was going to use her in a diff story but I don't think I will be publishing that one anymore so its okay!

even though I have cast lily collins as my avery, please feel free to envision your avery as anyone you see fit! I know I always have my own visions of character who dont always meet the original casting!

okay enough of my rambling

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! sound off in the comments and let me know what you think :)

-maddy xoxo