Thirteen Cursed Princes; ending 5

CHAN

You held Chan's hand tightly as you knocked on the door of the king's study; despite the late hour, you knew he would be awake, worrying for his sons.

"Come in," the king's tired voice called.

You entered, smiling at the way the king's face lit up when he saw Chan.

"Are they safe?" the king asked, obviously struggling to keep his composure.

"All of them safe and relatively unharmed," you affirmed. "Chan sustained a small cut and some bruising, but nothing serious, and he's the only one who was hurt."

"Where were they?"

You reached into your pocket and laid out the golden cup, silver twig, and a faerie's hairpin on the king's desk. "They were being held captive in the faerie queen's court, for some insult your wife gave the queen." You scanned his face carefully. "Thankfully, the curse is broken, and they need not go there any longer."

"How did you know how to save them?" the king asked quietly.

You hesitated, and Chan squeezed your hand comfortingly. "I was a changeling," you admitted. "I was raised in the faerie court for thirteen years of my life."

"Both her curse and ours are broken," Chan spoke up. "Father, you know how curses are broken..."

The king nodded, observing the objects on his desk carefully. "Well, Miss y/n, I have to reward you, as I promised," he said at length. "And from the looks of things, you've already decided what reward you'd like."

You blushed deeply, making Chan laugh.

"Go," the king said warmly. "Get some rest. Heaven knows it will be our first true rest in years..."

——

You halted outside the king's study, examining Chan's injured neck.

"I'm so sorry," you whispered. "I should have gotten you out sooner."

He smiled, gently removing your hand. "No, it's all right. You couldn't have done anything." He hesitated briefly, his eyes lingering on your hand, still held in his. "I'm glad it was me rather than any of my brothers."

"I should make sure it's not cursed," you realized. "I don't know what the queen might have put on that knife..."

Chan nodded, looking thoughtful. "That makes sense... how would we do that?"

You sighed, pinching the bridge of your nose. "Do you trust me?"

"After today's events?" Chan asked, a slight mischievous twinkle in his eyes. Before you knew it, he was leaning in and lightly brushing his lips against yours, just enough to send an electric shock through you.

"With my life," he murmured.

"Well, you're an idiot, but I appreciate the sentiment," you teased, trying to contain your blush. "Come with me."

——

"I didn't know you knew any magic," Chan said, wincing as you slathered an ugly grey-green paste onto his bruises.

"You thought I grew up a changeling in the faerie court and didn't pick up any tricks?" you said, mock offense in your voice. "I don't know any real magic, though — just minor curse prevention."

Chan's gaze was on you, bright and intense. "I don't feel any different," he said hesitantly. "Do you think it wasn't cursed?"

You scowled. "No, it's just that you've had a curse on you so long that you've forgotten what it feels like to be curse-free."

Chan shrugged one shoulder. "Fair."

He was still watching you as you packed your kit up.

"What?" you muttered.

"You're beautiful, and I love you," he replied simply. "Is it wrong for me to want to look?"

"Shut up," you replied, bright red in the face.

Chan stood up, pulling you into a hug. "Thank you again, for everything you've done," he murmured. "Now let's both go to bed — it's been a long day." He kissed the side of your head, ever so lightly. "I love you."

——

Eleven months passed, quiet and yet chaotic. The knife the faerie queen had used against Chan turned out to have a lingering curse that had you all but begging your brother for a cure, which he gave gladly. Chan recovered from that over the course of five of those months, faster than anyone you'd ever seen.

Now here you were, his hand warm in yours. A band of gold already encircled your finger, set with an obnoxiously big diamond, but Chan still looked nervous.

"My father already made everything official," he said quietly. "But I wanted to ask you for myself..." He took in a shaky breath. "I can't imagine my life without you, y/n. It's been only a year since I met you, but you have changed my life for the better in so many ways. I hope that I've made your life better as well."

He fished something out of his pocket. "So, y/n... will you stay with me for the rest of our lives?"

"You already know the answer, Chan," you murmured, kissing his fingers. The engagement ring he held was a simple silver band, set with a tiny pearl, but you loved it already.

"I just want to hear you say it," Chan complained.

You couldn't hold back a laugh. "Whatever you say. Yes, Chan, I'll marry you. I'd be honoured to marry you."

Chan's smile was practically glowing as he slid the silver ring onto your finger, right above the obnoxious gold ring that had been a gift from his father.

"We might have to wait another year," he joked. "But I think Father will be more than happy to push it forward."

"It doesn't really matter in the end, as long as I get to marry you," you said dismissively.

"Should we get married in the spring? It won't be too warm, but it won't be cold either."

You smiled before kissing him deeply. "Yeah, that sounds fantastic," you breathed when you separated at last. "I can't wait."

Chan kissed your hand, then your cheek, then your nose, and finally your lips.

"I love you," he said breathlessly.

"I love you too," you replied. "So much."

_________________

alsklajfla im so sorry for being MIA recently,,,, I've been having troubles with anxiety (turns out I can keep using my medication after all thank goodness) and I also applied for my first job so that's a big freakout moment for me,,,, it's been very stressful doing the application,,
anyways, yeah, I hope this is satisfactory <3

go stream call call call!
it's amazing it made me want to write something but I'm not sure what haha,,
love you guys!!!