Chapter Four

{Betty's POV} 

As we enter the famous Pops Choc-Lit Shop, the bell dings. It's about as packed as usual, high school kids and older adults having their easy dinner. As we walk towards a booth, I can't help but notice the eyes. Everyone's eye follow us as we make our way to a booth.

   As we sit down, Jughead notices the eyes and glares at the nearest group of high school boys. To my surprise, they were looking at me. That is, until they noticed Jughead. Looking away quickly, they start whispering and pointing. One, I'm guessing the oldest. Makes eye contact with me. He's probably a senior, one of the more popular guys in Riverdale High. Before I can look away, he stands.

   "Hey there" he says once he reaches our booth. My eyes shoot up to his. "You're beautiful"

   "Uhh, thanks?" I say, more as a question. I'm not trying to be rude to him, but having a high school boy hit on you, while you're with another boy, isn't flattering.

   NOT that I'm with Jughead, but it's rude!

   "So, when will you be able to work on me, Miss Mechanic?" He chuckles, insinuating the worst. Before I can say anything Jughead stands, causing the boy to face him.

   "If I were you, I'd go back to your friends and stay the hell away from her" he threatens. To my surprise, the boy laughs. I notice Jughead tense, his fists start to ball up.

   "Do you really think I'm afraid of some wanna be gangster?" The boy laughs. Oh no.

   "Kid, you'll be in a world of hurt if you and your shithead friends don't leave. Now"

   "Ohhh, I'm so scared!" He laughs to his friends. Before I can think I'm on my feet, my hands pressed against Jugheads abs.

   "Boys. Stop." I say. Jugheads eyes don't leave the boys. "Kid, I'm with him. Leave." I say.

   "Are you sure you don't want to be with a real man?" The kid pesters. Okay, now I'm pissed. Before I have a grasp on myself, I slap him across the face. Why? I honestly have no clue. He's holding his cheek in his hand when his eyes meet mine once again. "Fucking bitch!" He cries.

   "Next time, learn how to talk to a girl before you start" I say. He just stares at me and then at Jughead.

   "Man, fuck you and your bitch" he whales at Jughead. I feel Jughead start to push me away, so I place one hand on his chest and another on one of his balled fist.

   "Stop!" I demand. For the first time since the kid started with this, Jugheads eyes are locked on mine. "Stop" I say again. He stares at me for a moment, the anger in his eyes falling away. His fist is no longer balled as it falls and lands on my lower waist. Gripping it tightly, he looks back at the kid.

   "Leave." He demands. Finally, the kid obeys and quickly exits the building with his shocked friends. "Are you okay?" He asks, his hands still gripping my waist.

   "I'm okay Jug, he was just a stupid kid" I smile, my hand slowly falling away from his abs. He smiles at me, his eyes boring into mine. I can't help but feel light headed.

   As we break apart, sadly, we sit across from each other in the booth.

   "What can I get for you guys?" Pop himself asks. I'm surprised he didn't intervene earlier, due to the fact it's his shop.

   "I'll get a burger with fries and a strawberry shake" Jugehead says.

   "I'll have the same, just with vanilla" I smile.

   "I feel compelled to say congratulations Jug, I hope your leading will extend the same helping hand as your fathers did?" Pop asks. I sit there confused. Leading? Leading what?

   "Of course Pop, the Serpents will always be here to help you" Jughead smiles. With a nodding thank you, Pop heads back behind the counter. "What that kid did was completely disrespectful" Jug says.

   "I know..." I trail off. Suddenly, my hand is engulfed in his large one. The touch sends shock waves through my body, causing my eyes to meet his. The same eyes that had nothing but anger in them moments ago, are now filled with care, concern.

   "As long as I'm with you, no guy will disrespect you Betty. You don't deserve that. You deserve the world" he says.

   That moment. That's the moment I knew I was in trouble. Jughead Jones was going to screw up my life.

   "Jug... what did Pop mean by you being a leader?" I asked. That's when I saw it. His face tense up.

   Right when he was about to answer, he was interrupted.

   "Betty?" A familiar yet, long overdue voice questioned. I turned to be face to face with Veronica and Archie.

_________________

Oh no!! Stupid high school boy!!

I'm hoping I'm able to carry on the story line of Betty being a pawn for awhile... I hope I do well!!

-Danii LeeAnn