Chapter Eight

{Betty's POV}

Joaquin. A man I've known for years, is now apart of the Southside Serpents. A biker gang in Riverdale. They're known as criminals, thugs. But as I'm standing here, in the middle of almost every member, all I see is a family. All of these people care about each other immensely. They'd quite literally die for one another.

   "Come with me" Jughead says once he rejoins me on the stairs. I follow him back up the stairs and through a small door. We end up on the roof of the bar, the night sky blanketing above us.

   "Wow..." I say. It's beautiful. The stars and the moon shine brightly against the blackness of the universe. I lean against the cement railing, just admiring the beauty.

   "I like to come up here to get away from the commotion" he says as he leans beside me. "Are you happy for Joaquin?" He asks. I turn and meet his eyes. They look at me longingly.

   "I am. He seems very happy, and that's all I want for him" I smile. "But I do have a question Jug... well two actually"

   "Yes?"

   "Well, first. There was no venom in the snake right?" He laughs, shaking his head. "Okay, good."

   "What's your second question Juliet?" He asks. I don't know why, when he calls me that my stomach jumps.

   "Are you... are you the leader of the Serpents Jug?" He stood there, head down as he twiddled with his shirt.

   "Would it be a problem if I was?" He retorted.

   Would it? I have yet to think about the outcome of Jughead being the Serpent leader.

   "Honestly. I don't know. I've known you for only a few days... the first day you were an asshole I have to say. But today.." I trail off, my eyes meeting his. I no longer see anger. I see desperation, hurt.

   "I am the Southside Serpent King, Betty. This is my gang" he says, his voice lower, saddened. "This is my family."

   Family. That word is so scarce for me. Ever since my dad died, I haven't had a family. My mother, once I turned 18, moved away. My sister, Polly, moved to a nicer town to care for her twins. The closest thing I've had to family is Joaquin, Archie and Veronica.

   "Okay" I say with a smile. He doesn't say anything, he just looks at me. "I've got to say, you have a beautiful family" I smile. He chuckles, breaking his gaze from mine.

   "Are you scared?" He asks.

   "Should I be?"

   "I mean, I'm known as the mean one" he smiles, as he scoots closer to me. His fingers graze my exposed hip bone, tracing circles on it. The touch is sending shock waves throughout my body. Instinctively, I step forward causing him to grip my hip bone. "As long as you're with me, you never have to be afraid again" he whispers. His eyes are darting from mine to my lips. The sensation is intensifying as our faces decrease in distance.

   "I'm not afraid" I whisper. His smile widens, forcibly pulling me as close as he can. Our lips are centimetres apart...

   "Jug..." a familiar voice says. We jump apart, stunned by the interruption.

   "What Toni?" He hisses.

   "It's Cheryl.... the Ghoulies have her..."

__________________

Hello!!!! Really short chapter, I'm sorry!!!!

There'll more than likely be another chapter by tonight :)

Let me know what you think and if there's anything I can do to improve this story!!

-Danii LeeAnn