Chapter Thirty Six

{Jugheads POV}

   It doesn't take long to get across town when you're on a motorcycle speeding. Especially when the police are too scared to pull you over.

   Betty and I were jogging through the hospital, making our way towards Fangs room. Though, obviously we couldn't talk on the way here, she still has yet to speak to me. And who am I to blame her? I wish I didn't have to speak to myself.

   Why did I lie to her? Why didn't I just tell her the truth about Evelyn?

   So many question repeated in my head as Sweetpea and Veronica came into sight. Reluctantly, I released Betty's hand and stopped in front of Sweetpea.

   "Who's he doing?" I asked.

   "He's in a lot of pain, but they were able to get the bullet out and stop the bleeding in time.." he explained. I felt a weight lift off my shoulders as happiness filled me.

   "Can we see him?" I asked.

   "Yeah, he's in that room but Jug..." Sweetpea trailed off. He glanced at Betty and Veronica before lowering his voice. "Toni called me... Why is Evelyn here??" He asked. And the weight is back.

   "I have no idea, she wouldn't tell me." I stated. I wasn't trying to be rude, but the mention of her name sent a weird emotion through me that I couldn't understand. And I didn't like it.

   "Should we be worried? The last time Evelyn was here, you nearly died Jughead. And now you have Betty, how does she feel about this?"

   "Sweetpea. None of this is anyone's business besides mine." I said through gritted teeth before pushing my way past him and towards Fangs room. As I entered, he was flat on his back with cords coming out of him and oxygen pumping into his mouth. "Fangs....?"

   "Jug?" He grunted as his eyes opened slightly and he pulled the oxygen mask away from his mouth. "This is some bullshit, huh?" He joked. I forced a laugh as I looked at his crippled body.

   "We'll find whoever did this to you, Fangs. And we'll kill them" I stated bluntly. He smiled, knowing I meant every word I said. "Get some rest, more Serpents will be visiting you soon, I'm sure" I said. He only nodded as a response before quickly drifting back off to sleep.

   My anger was now a constant rage. Between what happened to Fangs and Evelyn showing up, I had no idea what to deal with first.

   As I went to join the others, my eyes connected with Betty's. She seemed.... empty. There was no emotion in her. I'd never seen her like this before.

   "Sweetpea, I want you to come back with me. Betty and Veronica, if you two could stay here for another hour or so, just to make sure everything goes alright with Fangs..?" I asked. No one spoke. The group was silent as they all just stared at me. "Hello?"

   "Alright, let's go.." Sweetpea sighed. What the hell was happening? As he started saying goodbye to V, I turned to Betty.

   "Are you okay with this?" I asked.

   "Yup." She said blatantly.

   "Okay... I'll call you soon." I trailed. She barely nodded in response. Due to instincts, I leaned forward to place a kiss on her lips. Only she turned, my lips landing on her cheek. The small gesture stopped my heart completely. The pain shooting through my veins, not physical.

   With a sigh, Sweetpea and I began walking away. The pain hasn't stopped, I feel as though it's about to cripple me.

   "Word of advise.." Sweetpea started as we reached our bikes, Veronica's staying idle. "Tell her the truth. Don't lose Betty over that piece of shit Evelyn." He stated before pulling his helmet over his head. His words stopped me for a moment. He was right. I was already losing her, and for what? I love Betty!