Chapter 23

Ky's P.O.V.

It's been exactly two days, seven hours and eighteen minutes since I last saw Lauren. My mom has been very strict towards the subject and barely lets me out of the house anymore. I've also been trying to avoid her as much as I could: she's taking my happiness away from me.

I remembered the day after the first talk we had, when she first grounded me, when I came back from school, my father came home and confronted me.

*Flashback*

I came home with mom in her car, desperate to arrive, since I couldn't stand being in the same place as her for a long time. She's forbidding me from doing what I love and seeing who I like. When I finally saw the house there, my face lit up, at last I was where I could be alone, or simply away from her.

As soon as she stopped the car, I opened the door and ran towards the door, opened it and got in. As I did, I saw my father sitting on the armchair in the living room. Why was he home so early? I started walking to where he was to greet him, but as soon as I got closer, he stood up and faced me, very close. I felt his breath on my face and could tell he was angry.

"Your mom told me what you did..." He said faintly but furiously.

"I-I-I..." I began but he cut me off.

"Shut up, I'm speaking." This was a side I'd never seen in him, he'd always been a caring and loving father, calm and patient. "How can you explain that you failed four tests? And I spoke to your coach and he said you've missed every practice in the last two weeks. I thought you liked soccer." He told me. "What do you have to say in your?"

"Do you want the truth?" I asked him and he nodded. "I don't like it. I've been doing it just because you like it. You've always pushed me to be this perfect child and son. And I've done it: I'm popular at school, I get good grades-"

"Until now." He muttered but I ignored him.

"I do a bunch of sports and I behave well here and everywhere. But I've done everything because of you and mom. You two have always wanted me to be perfect, and I've tried, I really have, but I can't keep it up anymore. This Ky, who misses sports practices and allows himself to fail, is the real me. Do you even know what my real passion is?" I asked and he and my mom (who joined us) stood there confused and with a face full of guilt for not even knowing. "Art. I like singing, I like playing instruments, I love editing and filming. I want to work on something that involves creativity, not a stupid lawyer or economist. And you didn't even know that because you're so focused on making me this ideal person that you can't even realize I suffer because you take control over my life, and those things you make me do? I hate them. If it were up to me, I'd stay home playing guitar all night and singing, because I love that. I don't like maths, or science, or law. My favorite subjects at school are Art, Music, Literature, literally everything that has to do with art. And the worst part is I can't really enjoy my passions because I'm constantly worried about these things you make me do, which shouldn't happen. I should do what I like, not what I hate. You know what's the worst part of the situation I'm living right now? Not being able to see the girl I like. It's only been a day and I already feel lonely, because I can't see her. She makes me happy, and smile. She means a lot to me. I need her. If it weren't for her and her band, I would probably be this numb, lifeless person, who agrees to do everything you say, and that doesn't really know what he likes. I discovered my love for music thanks to them. And one thing led to the other and now here I am, an art lover, a helpless romantic, a person who has so many dreams, but they are teared down by someone. And it makes me sad to say that the people who bring my dreams down are my own parents. I know you probably will never see my point, but this is the real me." I finished, and I was happy but scared at the same time. I'd done something that I'd never done before: rebelling against my parents and speaking my mind to them. They both stood there, in shock, just looking at me.